Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
If its any use, I'm running a hybrid hone/deore rear hub on my Stinky. I've used the axle from the hone, and an extra non-drive side nut to create a bolt-on hub that uses a 6mm allen key instead of a spanner/wrench. Much easier to use IMO. Will grab a picture of it later.

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
I run a 10mm bolt-on Hadley on the rear of my 04 Coiler. It works graet and it really stiffened the rear end up (i.e. no more tire rub on heard corners or botched landings).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Phil~M said:
If its any use, I'm running a hybrid hone/deore rear hub on my Stinky. I've used the axle from the hone, and an extra non-drive side nut to create a bolt-on hub that uses a 6mm allen key instead of a spanner/wrench. Much easier to use IMO. Will grab a picture of it later.
Sorry to jump in on the end of an old thread - but i have just bought an 05 Stinky.

Hey Phil (or anyone else) - so all i have to aquire is a hone axle and a nut. Your saying that this will simply fit through the deore hub and fit the existing drop outs? Man, that sounds too simple to be true! Any tricks in ordering eg. axle diameter, length etc?

I cannot spring for the cost of a new rear hub and get the whole shebang rebuilt - this seems like an easier (less expensive) option.

OK - so where is the best place to get me a hone axle and nut (Australian bike websites leave a little to be desired in trying to track this stuff down)

Thanks,

Jawry

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
at a guess the least you will need is axle as it will will more than likely be 9mm still and all your exsisting parts should fit.

my deore hub came to the end of its useful life so i just ordered a xt hub and scavanged the parts,as it was cheaper than ordering the new parts seperate.

and nice ride any pics for us to lull over.

oh try and send phil-m a private message.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll try and get some close up pics this afternoon of what I did. As I said in my PM to Jawry, here in the UK it was cheaper to buy the complete Hone hub and just take what I needed. It cost me £25 for the hub, and I sold the leftovers on E-bay for £10! The extra nut was a bit steep at £10 though

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Phil~M said:
I'll try and get some close up pics this afternoon of what I did. As I said in my PM to Jawry, here in the UK it was cheaper to buy the complete Hone hub and just take what I needed. It cost me £25 for the hub, and I sold the leftovers on E-bay for £10! The extra nut was a bit steep at £10 though
it is daft that you can buy the hub cheaper than say a few parts.

and 10 quid for a nut man thats exspensive.

and props to another uk rider.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Right, heres some pics...

Non-Driveside Axle. Note the flat sections...

Non-Driveside Nut. The flat sections on the nut engage on the flat sections of the axle and stop the dropout tab rotating around as you do the nut up.

Driveside Axle. This is where the Hone mech normally bolts on to. No flat sections on this side...

Driveside Nut. I had a friend of mine machine out the flat sections on the extra nut to fit onto the round axle. Not sure how he did it - will ask!

Both nuts together...

Bonus pic of the bike...

When the wheels in you have to tighten the non-drive side first, and when removing it you loosen the non-drive side first - otherwise the axle just spins.

·
Registered
150 Posts
G'day All

Thanks Phil - your a bloody champ mate:thumbsup:

Struth....with the machining and whatnot, probably not a job for the likes of me.

May take the easy (expensive) option and have a new hub laced to the existing rims.

I'll have a yack to a mate (he has a metal machinery shop) - see what he thinks.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
87 Posts
konut said:
why did you try and sell it in the first place phil-m,tis a nice bike that is.
Couple of reasons really...

Not much DH round where I live, so it means driving somewhere. The Forest of Dean is about an hour away. Theres a few places in Gloucester that are more than ok though.
I also fancied a decent hardtail again, and having three bikes is a bit much - especially when one doesnt get ridden that much. I think the Stinkys been out less than 10 times this year. I may well keep it though, or might try selling it again in the new year. I'm finding that as my ridings got better, my Enduro is more than capable of doing everything I need.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.