Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it ain't 10K climb of Demo but it's easy and there will be beer. I was going to do timed run up St. Joe's today but discovered this means ride time is very short. So I went back down and did it again...same problem. Went down and did it again. With that I found that to do 10k of St. Joe's, you need to go up and down the thing 13 times.

So, that got me thinking. What about a 10k of St. Joe's challenge. There are three scenarios I see for it.

1) Anyone just goes out and does it and, if you succeed, I will have a cold Pliny waiting for you at the bottom of your 13th run (I live in the neighborhood). You get bragging rights and are officially in the club.

2) Make an actual day of it with a keg at the bottom with BBQ in full swing. My buddy lives at the trail head and trying to talk him into letting me use his backyard which spills into Jones St. If that doesn't work, I live close enough to have supplies on hand at the base for those that succeed (or gave it a good college try).

3) Go completely nuts and add a fund raiser element for the Tsunami Relief where my kids will also sell lemon aid, hamburger/hotdogs, and such as part of a humanitarian thing for all hikers and bikers that pass by.

So, is there an interest here or did I simply drink too much coffee this morning?

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Didn't you used to time yourself down Braille? Now your talking about riding up the same boring fireroad 13 times as if it's a good idea?!? Where did it all go wrong man?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha

Carl Hungus said:
Didn't you used to time yourself down Braille? Now your talking about riding up the same boring fireroad 13 times as if it's a good idea?!? Where did it all go wrong man?
Let's see. Strava+a great deal on a light yet aggressive XC bike+a trip to the ER last year+aging bones+wife/kids+Los Gatos trails in back yard = more climbing/less hucking. hohum.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
just go out to coe and ride 50 miles in 1 big azz loop.

bring a map and water filter.....

edit - i am becoming a real jurk online...gotta step away form the keyboard...blah...

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
I say we do it in my driveway! It climbs about a foot and is 24 feet long. If we do it 10,000 times, we'll have 10K and 45 miles! The best part is, you'd never be further than 24' from the keg. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I overheard a guy who did something similar for training, but he just did loops on the upper part, not sure if he came down to where the trail connects to Jones or if he just kept looping through at Manzanita. He had a sack lunch that he brought and stashed along the trail, pretty good idea.

This is my backyard as well, 4 minutes to the trailhead from my house. I think if I did this I would get so burned out by the trail I would stay away from it for some time.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,550 Posts
K-max said:
I say we do it in my driveway! It climbs about a foot and is 24 feet long. If we do it 10,000 times, we'll have 10K and 45 miles! The best part is, you'd never be further than 24' from the keg. :thumbsup:
Can you open your freezer?

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
K-max said:
this would be an insanely sick and twisted version of the Century Club drinking game...

I cannot participate due to the fact I have had 'questionable' experiences riding away from your house :lol:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I did almost 3k the other day and wasn't even ready to quit. I am down for this. I think it is just over 1000 feet from the summit bike store. I am down for this. I really wanted to do demo but the rain= no fun there. BTW Josh, nice time up the hill on a 40lb bike!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
K-max said:

K-max, I was looking at a pic of your garage and I was blown away!!! That thing is sweet. I am talking of course about the Italian Cypress in front. What a display of botanical wizardry. So long and nicely groomed and what a deep green foliage too. On another note, what is that crazy contraption hooked to your fridge? (Please note the huge sarcasm in this post.)

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
errr

pmarshall said:
I did almost 3k the other day and wasn't even ready to quit. I am down for this. I think it is just over 1000 feet from the summit bike store. I am down for this. I really wanted to do demo but the rain= no fun there. BTW Josh, nice time up the hill on a 40lb bike!
Not so fast. I was on my Yeti AS-R (Strava went down before I could edit the ride details and the Bullit is the front runner before edit) but it still hurt like crazy. That first wall bleeds you and the rest is just perseverance. I was grunting and moaning all the way to the top (people probably thought I was a pervert)...what a complete suffer-fest. Not sure I will try that again. Beating 15 will take a lot for me...can't understand how you did 13+...that is impressive! (sort of) Like you I spent 5 minutes laying on the ground at the top just trying to find air.

As for this 'idea', realizing only a few people are into footies so I think I'll stick with offering a Pliny to those that succeed (unless there is an outcry of course). I hope to give it a go sometime soon.

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
If Demo doesn't happen I plan to do the LG Figure 8 twice, all the way to Hicks, 50mi 9k.

Honestly I don't believe the forecast, it was supposed to rain all day today and haven't seen a single drop yet...

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,204 Posts
13 times up and down the same hill? Every heard of the myth of Sisyphus? :) Option 3 - adding the humanitarian element along with beer and food would certainly make it more meaningful and fun.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
CHUM said:
this would be an insanely sick and twisted version of the Century Club drinking game...

I cannot participate due to the fact I have had 'questionable' experiences riding away from your house :lol:

It wasn't questionable, many of us remember what happened. ;)

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,204 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
I
Honestly I don't believe the forecast, it was supposed to rain all day today and haven't seen a single drop yet...
It was actually supposed to just be cloudy today and I was hoping to squeeze in a ride. But it's raining now in palo alto pretty steadily. Bummed...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
A lot better than the myth of syphilis which is no myth at all! Trust me, I know a guy who knows a guy that knows that to be true.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done. JOSH KOM (King of the Morons)

http://app.strava.com/rides/424854

Planned big time for this one and stars aligned. Wife took kids to SC for the week and so I took the day off to tackle this ugly bastard. Mr. Marshall gave me lots of pointers unbeknownst (had to look that up) to him. Drove to trail head though I live 2 blocks away. Slathered up with Vaseline (glad I actually got use this for something different for a change) to avoid chaffing. Also brought lots of water, bars, Gu, Advil, and change of clothes.

Ride started funky when I took my bike off the rack and it had a flat...nice. Went to fix flat but tube in pack was flat...nice. Patched one and hit the trail. Then it rained on me and it was cold but this lasted a short time only. From here it was all work. Unlike Mr. Marshall's attempt, I didn't care about boring as I knew it was going to be available all day. I had a 160 gig iPod full to the brim with killer tunes set to random. With all this in mind, I did not change up the routine much at all all day. I made sure that when I was peddling, it was climbing only...no sight seeing, no flat sections. I also saved a lot of energy by not peddling much on the DH. I passed the same trail crew about 14 times...they must have thought I was spying. I reached the final climb at 9,910 so had to drop and replay...not bad though as I wanted a little buffer in case Strava ripped me off.

Anyhow, now I am the official St. Joes KOM (King of the Morons) and think it safe to say, no one has ever achieved this repetitive and restupidous task.

phew...beer me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts