Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
105lb rider, 130mm fork?

Howdy! What 130-140mm fork are you 105-110lb riders using?

I bought my wife an '07 140mm Fox Float last summer - for her XS Motolite - and it ain't workin. According to Fox, it will not work for riders uner 125lbs. I removed one of the negetive springs, and it's "better", but now it's funky in a different way.

We're considering a Revelation, but others have suggested that NO air fork will work for such a light rider - they say coil is the only way to go :rolleyes: ???

Needs are: 1) 130 - 140mm travel 2) as light as possible.

Thanks!

·
I see the line
99 Posts
Hi,
I have Motolite XS as well and weigh about 110lbs. I originally put Fox Talas RLC which did not work at all. I didn't even get a bit of sag and it was way too stiff for me when I put minimal required air. When I didn't put minimal air, I blew the fork. So, I recently bought a Marzocchi XC700. I am sending it back for service because it keeps losing travel as I bomb down the DH portion of the program. But I have to say, I love the Marzocchi fork. I am not sure about the Revelation but hear good things about it. It is very hard to find a fork in that travel range for light weight riders...
Good luck! By the way, I do not like Motolite XS. I think something to do with the geometory specific to XS. May be too high of bottom bracket? It has been a mystery... I have to try to like my Motolite for one year now.

·
Seeker of Dirt
100 Posts
I run the float

but we set it according to a 30% sag rather than the "recommended" pressure. (Shhhh! don't tell. ;) ) I weigh anywhere from 105-115 depending on how much muscle I've put on during the mtb season.

I don't know if the head angle is the cause of some of the issue. My bike has a slightly larger angle than the motolite which could better position the forces acting on the fork to coincide with the line of compression. Just my best guess. :D good luck in your search for the perfect fork!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.