Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,112 Posts
Jingleman said:
Hi..I have a 100 psi Marzocchi pump..I looks identical to the others..just a diffrent scale.I know tha Manitou has one model also.Bye
I believe my low pressure pump is an Axiom. Definitely good, since i usually put about 35psi in my fork.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The marz site has it listed as a 200psi pump, maybe you have an older version. The manitou is listed as 175psi on their site, so that also looks like more that I am looking for. I know there is one out there (I forget by who) that had the removable gauge with a 100 and a 300 psi gauge, someone posted about that not too long ago. But I already have a 300psi pump, and I was wondering if there was one out there that only went to 100 psi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep the axiom is that one I was thinking of. The thing is like I said I already have a 300psi pump, and I was wondering if there was another, cheaper, option than the axiom that had a gauge that only read to 100psi...?

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
The easiest one to get that I know of is the "Buzzy's Pollenator" available from QBP and BTI...two of the biggest wholesalers in the U.S. that most bike shops use either all the time or at least some time. Of course, you have to go through a bike shop to order from these outfits. If I recall, Buzzy's Pump is cheaper than the Marz unit. Funny thing is that most of these pumps are manufactured from the same place. Buzzy's is the company who has "Slick Honey" and other great suspension products.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TNC,
I looked on BTI's site and they dont have any listed, thats where my shop got the fork from aswell, one of three they had left. Im thinking of making one at the moment, finding a nice 60psi gauge and then putting it one what ever brand pump my shop happens to have in stock. Should make for a nice pump. What do you use?

Anyone know what kind/size mount the gauges on the fox/marz pumps use?

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
I use a Buzzy's 100 psi pump. One problem with the homemade guage deal would be how you attach that cheaper mini-guage to the pump...because if it's not attached, you're losing some important psi when you use the mini-guage on very high pressure but low volume applications to "check" pressure with a separate guage. You lose little to no pressure when disconnecting a shock pump from the device being filled. Those mini-guages are nice, however, as I have several spread through different vehicles and the shop for checking tires.

·
carpe mañana
7,313 Posts
You can get a replacement gauge for the shock pump in any scale and accuracy level you want from McMaster Carr. They have an online catalog as well which you could browse. Pages 536-542.

You want 1/8" NPT version with 1 1/2" gauge. Prices vary with accuracy. I think a typical pump gauge has 2% Mid-scale accuracy, meaning it is accurate to within 2% of the full scale value in the middle of the range and 3-4% at the limits. You can go as good as 1% full range accuracy for a fairly reasonable sum, but it get pricey quickly. You can also go glycerin filled, which is what I opted for, to keep the dial from bouncing as you pump, but I think I prefer it not filled as it adds lag to your reading.

A 2% accuracy pump with max reading of 100psi is 3x more accurate than a 2% accuracy pump with max reading of 300psi. And finally, if you have enough pressure in the air chamber to go out of scale of your pump's range, you'll make the needle slip off axis when it hits a bumper and your gauge will be busted. I found out the hard way, so don't get a ridiculously low range gauge. I got 60psi to get ultra accurate pressures on my 66SL, but accidentally threaded it into my negative chamber which was pressurized much higher and the gauge is useless.

_MK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MK,
Thats is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. I am going to order one from McMaster today. Im going to get a 0-60 psi with 2% mid range accuracy, and put it on a fox pump for my 66 SL. Thanks again

·
carpe mañana
7,313 Posts
I just got home from Performance, I love browsing around their clearance isles. I found a tire pressure gauge discounted from $14 to $9 with a 160psi gauge on it. This is the same type gauge as you get on shock pumps. It is cheaper than ordering a gauge from McMaster carr. I finally fixed my broken pump! :D

_MK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.