Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just bought my first Camelbak a month ago, and like it alot. Problem is that I got one that has a 70 oz reservoir and I have been nearly draining it in this hot weather. Has anyone tried putting a 100 oz bladder in a pack that didn't come with one? Is it like stuffing the proverbial 8 pounds of sh*t in a 5 pound bag? I hate to cough up the 20 bucks just to "see" and I don't want to buy a whole new Camelbak. Maybe there is room in the pack part to just stuff an extra water bottle in there.

Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fill it up

Fill up the 70oz and see if you can fit your hand or anything inside the pack. If there is room to move your hand around you should be able to fit a bigger bladder. I fill mine and still have room to stuff power bars or snacks inside. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The 100oz bladder doesn't fit very well into a camelbak designed for a 70oz bladder. As you probably know when you fill a 70oz all the way it's a rather snug fit in it's own camelbak. I know they're expensive, but you can usually buy a last years model for a bit less money. I suggest the Mule. It takes a 100oz bladder.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
There's a bit more difference in the area a larger bladder takes up than a few power bars and such. For one thing the 100oz is longer.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Go compare the dimensions of the 70 and 100oz bladders. If the 100 is much taller it probably will not work. If it is just wider it may or may not work.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I say go buy the MULE and be happy - Seriously. If you manage to fit the 100oz bladder in there then where will you fit any snacks, patch kit, cell phone etc. etc that you want to carry. The MULE holds it's 100oz and has loads of room to spare. Keep the 70oz for hiking or shorter/cooler rides.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I looked on the Camelbak site to compare....

Mine (Daystar) has lots more cargo space than the Mule, and only slightly less than the Hawg - therefore I don't wanna buy a new pack - I like this one.

Maybe I'll just stick an extra water bottle in the cargo section. I'll mess w/ it and see.

Thanks for the info.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I just compared my 70 and 100 bladders side by side. The 100 is 2" taller, 1" wider, and noticeably deeper...couldn't measure the exact depth without filling them and using calipers...I'm lazy.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Ah see that's some valuable info that would have helped a lot of the posters who replied, leaving out simple info like that makes us give out wild advice. I'm sure with all that space you could fit a 100oz in there some way, go to s store that has the bladders and give it a try.

FYI my god does the CB site suck or what, all you see if you don't have flash8 and javascript is a nice black window.

Tass Over Teakettle said:

Mine (Daystar) has lots more cargo space than the Mule, and only slightly less than the Hawg - therefore I don't wanna buy a new pack - I like this one.

Maybe I'll just stick an extra water bottle in the cargo section. I'll mess w/ it and see.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It will work.

I have a 100 Oz. Mule and my son has a 70 oz. Lobo.

He drinks more water than I, so when we go out together we switch bladders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeti Clyde said:
It will work.

I have a 100 Oz. Mule and my son has a 70 oz. Lobo.

He drinks more water than I, so when we go out together we switch bladders.
Does the 100 oz bladder fit well and close properly in the Lobo, or does it stick out the top?

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
when i was looking around for a bladder for my kelty pack I got a 70oz omega... i put a 100oz in there and it looked like it fit.. granted it wasnt filled with water.

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
LyNx said:
Ah see that's some valuable info that would have helped a lot of the posters who replied, leaving out simple info like that makes us give out wild advice. I'm sure with all that space you could fit a 100oz in there some way, go to s store that has the bladders and give it a try.

FYI my god does the CB site suck or what, all you see if you don't have flash8 and javascript is a nice black window.
100 oz FILLED C.B. bladder.... 17" tall, 4.375" wide , 3.75" thick
Approximately. The width is a bit of an hourglass shape....But those numbers are close..
Tony

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CdaleTony said:
100 oz FILLED C.B. bladder.... 17" tall, 4.375" wide , 3.75" thick
Approximately. The width is a bit of an hourglass shape....But those numbers are close..
Tony
I stuck a yardstick down into the "pocket" and it shows 18", so probaby do-able. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Tass Over Teakettle said:

Thanks for the info.
There you go. Use a water bottle to supplement the Camelbak. No big deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts