Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at the Skareb and Reba... What's the verdict on 100mm forks that are sub 4 pounds?

eventually will replace a pilot SL, which while cheap, has done me well with the rebound damping to supersoft.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I am building a bike and have decided upon the Reba U-lock...I work at a bike shop and have heard nothing but great things about the Reba, the skareb is good if you are a weight weenie but you are making a lot of sacrifices which may be cool when your buddies are picking up bikes and comparing them but when they are doing technical stuff that the skareb wont handle it wont be so cool... I hardly doubt in riding that you would notice that much of a difference in weight, however performance is a definately a noticable improvement.
my two cents.....

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Skareb-Reba-Marathon-Sid-Fox float/talus

I am looking into this size fork lately as well. Of these three, the Reba seems like a winner.
Actually I am a Marz/Fox guy and I would almost consider the Reba for a change.
The Marathon by Marzocchi weighs around 3.5lbs, but I think it would be used since the new ones are 120mm. (01 or 02')

Fox Talus/Float is around 3.5-4lbs if you have the $.

...and the Sid can be found, 100mm, weighs arouind 3lbs but I would only consider it for racing or for light girlies. or if you ride 'gently'. I had one and the Fox Float it replaced was way better...i mean stiffer.

The skareb seems sweet but expensive, cant comment on them...

Hope this helps, its what I have come to find out so far.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the reba seems like a really good compromise between weight, stiffness, and adjustability. also it's a good compromise in terms of $$.

If I'm racing with it, would you guys reccomend the poploc remote? being able to adjust compression/lockout the fork would be awfully nice on those long, gradual climbs.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,441 Posts
R-7?

What about that new R-7 that Manitou has coming out? Supposed to be lighter (under 3 lbs for the platinum version) and stiffer then the Skarab. Anyone know when these will be available?

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
R7 availablity

If I remember correctly in an ad in the german "Mountain Bike" magazine, I saw that it could be available here in Germany as early as July....

Cheers,
Cris

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Go with a White Brothers XC 1.0 with an air spring. Their newer low-pressure designs are all that and more. I spent part of my weekend on their 29" BW forks which share pretty much the same internals, and after 2+ years on one of their old-style high pressure forks, I'm wowed. Smooth action, easy tuning, lightweight. Super stiff. This is the winning candidate for my new bike.

A big part of my attraction to WB & Eko Sport has been the way they stand behind their product, and that I can service it at home. I can still get parts for the Total Air carts that fit a '96 Judy long after Rock Shox stopped supporting that fork, and Manitou is already telling me they are out of some springs for my wife's 2004 Black. That sucks. Give me a solid fork that will be supported over the long run and that I can plan on running for more than two years if I should ever need parts. This whole "fork of the day" mentality the big guys are adopting is wearing me out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
reba ..yes ..but be aware of problems with these forks....

jonwebah said:
Been looking at the Skareb and Reba... What's the verdict on 100mm forks that are sub 4 pounds?

eventually will replace a pilot SL, which while cheap, has done me well with the rebound damping to supersoft.
i have the reba race non u-turn forks and they have been great forks stiff and plush and plenty of adjustability but twice now the pos air has leaked into the neg chamber totally compressing the forks but when you hang the bike up overnight they comletely extend and are reusable for a while but you eventually have to deal with them, the first time RS replaced the seals the second time they replaced the insides so i get my bike back on wednesday so i hope its finally fixed! :)
check out the reba reviews

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
I'm going for the 2005 Marzocchi Marathon Race to make my trail bike a little more XC. I got an Orange Patriot to suck up the big stuff, so now I'll have a 25 lbs. bike for lapping the local loops. Anyway, the Marathon Race is an 80/100mm fork that is just under 3.1 lbs w/out steerer, and is designed for extended rides. Not trying to just come in here and give blind props to Marzocchi, but everything I've ever ridden from them has been absolutely great, from Jr. Ts, Super Ts, a 888, a handful of Z1s, the MX series, etc., all have fit their intended role exactly as you would want, and handle with a feel that is destinguishably Marzocchi. On the other hand, the single best fork I have ever ridden is a tie between my Rock Shox Psylo Race and my friend's well broken in Fox Vanilla 125 R. I love coil forks, but they are heavy, and a well designed air system, like the Fox Float, or the Marathon's Doppio cartridge, can replicate it well enough to allow you to scream around on the flats and climbs, but also to really hang it out on the descents -- where I find I make up the most time. Sorry if this seems like a rant ;) , but when I was in the market for a new, lightweight 100mm XC fork, I wanted something that wouldn't hold me back on my favorite part of riding. I looked at the F100x and TALAS, but with no saddle time in either, and the high prices, I knew I could trust the consistent ride and awesome quality of a Marzocchi fork. And that is why I'm getting the Marathon. :cool:

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
So what about the skareb?

Any reliability reports out there? last I checked there was only one review on this fork.

Is it a light duty fork compared to the Marathon and the Reba?

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,441 Posts
calling you out.

Andrewpalooza said:
Anyway, the Marathon Race is an 80/100mm fork that is just under 3.1 lbs w/out steerer, and is designed for extended rides.
Alright dude, I'm calling you out. Where are you finding a Marathon Race with 100 mm of travel? Everywhere I find it it's only 80. Also, according to weightweenies, the 2005 Marthon Race weights 3.48 lbs. But you said without steer tube, so maybe you're stil correct but, who rides a fork without a steer tube?

Looks like there are a lot of good 100 mm ~3.5 lbs forks out there. Value wise, my money would be on the White Bros. this is what I'm recommending for my wife for her new bike.

But personally, I need something that's easy to lock out, I'm pretty happy with the F80X I just got, so I would have to spring for the F100X, or if the Snap SPV on the new R-7 performs well, (as in WAY better then the SPV on the Minute 3 I have now), well the weight weenie in me would have to go that route.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
marz forks

Supposedly Marzocchi claims their weights without steer tubes.

It just doesnt make much sense does it?

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Alright dude, I'm calling you out. Where are you finding a Marathon Race with 100 mm of travel? Everywhere I find it it's only 80. Also, according to weightweenies, the 2005 Marthon Race weights 3.48 lbs. But you said without steer tube, so maybe you're stil correct but, who rides a fork without a steer tube?

Looks like there are a lot of good 100 mm ~3.5 lbs forks out there. Value wise, my money would be on the White Bros. this is what I'm recommending for my wife for her new bike.

But personally, I need something that's easy to lock out, I'm pretty happy with the F80X I just got, so I would have to spring for the F100X, or if the Snap SPV on the new R-7 performs well, (as in WAY better then the SPV on the Minute 3 I have now), well the weight weenie in me would have to go that route.
You got me. ;)

I've been doing a lot of fork research lately, must have been delierous. I'll agree that the R7 is looking badass -- it was my first pick, but I don't want to wait that long. I hear June at the earliest, and that is just a rumor. Manitou has a new DH fork coming out at the same time, the Travis I believe. I might also look at buying a WB, but I've never done more than squish one of theirs before, so I'd be a leap into the dark. But I'm still 95% set on the Marathon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.