Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey
i trying to find a fork for my DMR Trailstar that i'm getting, but i have run into a wall i want to do urban, trials, north shore, and probally a bit of dirt, the problem i have run into is that none of the freeride sort of forks have v-brake bosses, i'm currently looking into the '04 Marz. EXR Pro 105mm but this is described as a xc fork, i was also looking at the Manitou Sherman flick plus but it doesn't have the bosses

oh, i'm 180-190lbs, and i'm kinda limited to the 100mm plus or minus 5-10mm range becuase of the geometry of the frame, and i need QR drop outs to fit the wheels i already have

is there a fork that you guys know of that i have missed in my searching?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
DMR For Life said:
hey
oh, i'm 180-190lbs, and i'm kinda limited to the 100mm plus or minus 5-10mm range becuase of the geometry of the frame, and i need QR drop outs to fit the wheels i already have
Don't get hung up on labels too much. Unless you intend really hammering the fork and doing a lot of drops, you don't have to buy what is called a freeride fork. I ride an Intense 5.5 and hammered a Minute 3:00 for over a year and I'm about 210lbs. No drops but always fairly rough, rocky and technical descents. The fork is as good as new. They label it as "trail/enduro.

If you are limited to 100mm take a look at the Manitou Minute 2:00, available with or without bosses and 100 or 130mm travel.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Take a look at the Marzocchi MX series or try to find a pre-2005 Fox Float or Vanilla. I find the MX series very underestimated in terms of strength. The MX Comp models have a steel steerer, so they're maybe even stronger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm in the same boat, i've been wanting a marzzochi marathon S in the 105mm version but can't find it for sale anywhere, tried to pick one up on ebay, but even used ones go for way too much!
i'm 190, want something coil sprung super agressive, and reasonably light with v-brake posts, doesn't seem like any manufactures are putting something like that out though :(

·
the wrench
469 Posts
right now i have a 2002 z1 wedge on my urban bike. it has held up very well to my abuse but i dont do any big drops. my friend also has the same fork and beats on his way more than me. so the issue we face is that there is no free ride ish fork anymore that has 100mm and canti posts so we can run hs33s. so i phoned up marzocchi and they said that the most comprable fork to the z1 wedge that they make is the mx comp. apparently the comstruction of the two models is very similar and they just cant market a fork like that for freeride because people will buy it then try and warrenty it after doing 15-20 foot drops.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
garboui said:
right now i have a 2002 z1 wedge on my urban bike. it has held up very well to my abuse but i dont do any big drops. my friend also has the same fork and beats on his way more than me. so the issue we face is that there is no free ride ish fork anymore that has 100mm and canti posts so we can run hs33s. so i phoned up marzocchi and they said that the most comprable fork to the z1 wedge that they make is the mx comp. apparently the comstruction of the two models is very similar and they just cant market a fork like that for freeride because people will buy it then try and warrenty it after doing 15-20 foot drops.
May be we should all get together and form a lobby group or something...that at least seems like the in thing to do.... :p

·
the wrench
469 Posts
DMR For Life said:
would the '04 EXR Pro last for freeride sort of stuff minus of course the massive drops?
i dont see why the exr pro wouldnt work. its pretty much the same as the mx comp as far as the stanchions and lowers the main difference is the internals. the rebound dampening on the new exr's is really slow and an oil change before use is recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.