Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a lot of issues with the shock on my "other brand" race bike and I'm thinking about switching to an Anthem. My main concern is the travel. I need a bike with 100mm front and rear due to the type of terrain I ride/race on. I could put a 100mm fork on the Anthem and give up a half inch in the back.

Has anyone done this or researched this and could give feedback? I'm not worried about the head angle, but does it slacken the seat angle too much?

Also, what's the weight of an Anthem frame (aluminum) & shock?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You can't get a Trance frame....atleast in North America. The 2008 Trance is not much heavier than the Anthem, the 2007 and older Trances are quite a bit heavier than the Anthem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been running a Fox F100rlt on my 06 Anthem 1 for a couple of months now. I like it so much I haven't even considered putting the 80mm stock Manitou back on. I haven't been able to feel any effect on geometry or handling while riding. The only thing I had to do was lower my bars a bit to make up for the difference in height. The extra travel in the fork has given me more confidence on descents and made a big gain for the bike in overall plushness.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You know, its not ONLY about the weight difference...

ducktape said:
You know the Trance isn't that much heavier compared to an anthem, & it's got the 4" you wanted?
For geo with 100mm forks check out the Giant Australia website, the Anthems here come stock with 100mm so the geo charts would reflect that.

There have been several threads around here about Anthem vs Trance. Even if both bikes weighed the same, the Anthem is still a much quicker accelerating and handling bike. The Trance feels like a slug in comparison.Period. I am tallking about riding the bike- not looking at geometry charts.If you want a bike for cruising everything, and not racing, I would look at the Trance X, if you need the travel. I had a Reign for a year, decided I didn't need all that travel (altho it was real nice!) and switched to an Anthem with the stock 80mm fork. Rode it for a month or two, fork sent in for service. Manitou replaced it with a 100mm R7 (after I begged them to). I prefer the ride and handling with the 100mm fork, but I do not race. I use my bike as an "all-mountain "Anthem to go rocketing around on our local trails. Its outstanding. I have ridden the older Trances and would never consider having one- I would go either 08 Reign, Trance X or Anthem- depending on what you really need most of the time...First picture below is with 100mm R7, second picture is with stock 80mm version.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I disagree. I raced the big ol aluminum Trance 0 at a race this year and had my highest place finish of any race. It is a myth that the Trance can not be raced. It was maybe 2% slower than my Anthem on smooth courses and much faster than the Anthem on rocky courses (for my riding style). The only reason I am not getting one (Trance Advanced) is because A) shock it too hard to reach pro-pedal and B) doesn't come with XTR.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I would go either 08 Reign, Trance X or Anthem- depending on what you really need most of the time...
It doesn't make sense to me, saying that you would get pretty much any giant maestro apart from the Trance. But I do understand it comes down to personal preference & other influences (past experiences, riding terrain & style, even suspension set up).

Yes I had a trance ('06 one) and liked it very much, but like you I decided I didn't need the travel, hence I'm going back to a HT. But from having the fork at 130mm of my Trance (which would have made the geo very much like the Trance X) I discovered that I in fact really liked the slacker geo / shorter stem set up for general riding I do rather than going more towards XC geometry, steeper HA.
I've seen a few anthems built up as AM machines here on the forum (yours probably being one of them), and I don't see any reason why not, depending on riding styles of course.

OP said he would need 100mm front & rear so the regular Trance comes closest to that, particularly now that the weight differences are so minimal in 2008. His alternate was a 100mm fork on an Anthem hence why I pointed him to the geo chart on the Aussie website. And I'll just reiterate (if that's even the correct word) he's after opinions on the seat tube angle. I can't comment on that as I have no idea what difference the SA makes.

Also OP asked about the weight of the Anthem frame & shock, so it's not clear if he's looking to buy a frame alone or a complete bike to change spec according to his preferance.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Have you ever ridden an Anthem, or maybe a Reign,

ducktape said:
It doesn't make sense to me, saying that you would get pretty much any giant maestro apart from the Trance..
in real life, maybe? There is an old thread around here in which we discussed people building up Trances that ended up weighing many pounds more than a Reign, and still only having 4" of rear travel. If that makes sense to you, then, go for it. I would still rather have a 29 or 30lb Reign than a 27 or 28lb Trance. I currently have an Anthem, and that new 08 Reign (not X) is looking very inviting- so far my local Giant dealer seems to be on a Kona kick for the moment, no new Reigns in stock...

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
dumper said:
in real life, maybe? There is an old thread around here in which we discussed people building up Trances that ended up weighing many pounds more than a Reign, and still only having 4" of rear travel. If that makes sense to you, then, go for it. I would still rather have a 29 or 30lb Reign than a 27 or 28lb Trance. I currently have an Anthem, and that new 08 Reign (not X) is looking very inviting- so far my local Giant dealer seems to be on a Kona kick for the moment, no new Reigns in stock...
To answer your question, no I haven't ridden either a reign or anthem.

Everyones idea of the "one" bike is different. When I brought my trance I went through the whole thing of 4" vs 6", because either were going to cost the same. In the end I went for the amount of travel that was right for me, I didn't want a light weight XC racer & a reign would have either made the terrain less challenging or the ability to do it faster which was not necessary.The trance fell into the perfect category.
It depends what you ride and what you get out of it, there is no right or wrong really. I ride for enjoyment first it's the only sport I really love, challenge second & fitness last, nothing more. My trance was 31lb:D , I thought that was great coming from a HT that had been the same weight!

I think todays technology is great so that people can go for whatever travel they desire without much compromise in other areas, if it means a more versatile bike for your needs than why not.

If I had to choose between an Anthem, Trance, Trance X, Reign or Reign X even, well ideally I would be able to throw a leg over each & let the bikes do the talking. Unfortunately here in Oz we don't get stores that let us take the bikes out on the trails ( I think only Specialized holds demo days in some places only).

·
Registered
797 Posts
hey Ducktape, I think you left out part of your reply

ducktape said:
To answer your question, no I haven't ridden either a reign or anthem.
(and I'm not an old fogie yet, only 28).

so that's what this is all about! And, actually, I am less than twice your age! Goes to show you there is no substitute for real life experiences... and it doesn't hurt to live near Wheelworld, either.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
dumper said:
(and I'm not an old fogie yet, only 28).

so that's what this is all about! And, actually, I am less than twice your age! Goes to show you there is no substitute for real life experiences... and it doesn't hurt to live near Wheelworld, either.
LOL:D When I said that
and I'm not an old fogie yet, only 28
it was a general comment as most often I've heard of people using age as one of the reasons for choosing dual suspension..... I made the comment and the thought never even came into my mind of what your age may be..

and now maybe I should look up your profile... hmmm you started riding in 1958, my Mum was born in 1959! Ah you old fogie (just kidding).

LOL:p

Speaking of old age & wisdom I reckon that society should make a lot more use out of their wisdom from life experience & let them be worthwhile contributors instead of living in retirement villages like cast outs.
I don't know how many years I've got ahead of me, let alone how many years of reasonable eyesight, but I really hope I'm one of those old women riding a cheap bike down the street very slowly with shopping basket up front / back - rather than not riding at all:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts