Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering changing the SID SL on my Adept to a 100mm model, but am worried about changing the bike's magnificent handling -- which to me is THE single best feature of the bike.

I ride fairly aggressive XC (yes, even on a SID) and feel the extra inch of travel would be nice, but not if it ceases to make it the BEST SINGLETRACK BIKE ON EARTH! Sorry for the hyperbole, but I love the handling that much

Considering a Skareb Platinum, if anyone wishes to comment. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
I wouldn't expect the handling to be bad considering the Klein has a pretty steep head angle (71.5) and seatube. The 100mm fork would lessen this by about .75 degree. If you really like the handling as is stick with the 80mm because the 100mm fork will change the feel of the bike.

I just built up a new Titus Riddler hardtail with a Skareb Elite 80mm (available at Jenson for $219; the Platnium is on special for 299 at Colorado and Jenson) and it is much stiffer than my 2000 Sid XC and the dampening is much better. I have ridden the 2000 Sid SL and that thing was the most noodley fork I ever rode.

Note that the Skarebs are an Air/Oil fork combo. They are primarly a large volume air spring that is very linear (they do not ramp up at all like the Sid SL or XC) and the spring comes into play for about the last inch of travel to help prevent/limit bottoming. They make different springs for different weights. Also I know that the Platnium has gotten mixed reviews with the SPV, but a side benifit of the SPV is that you can adjust how the fork ramps up at the end of its travel.

I would buy the Skareb again without hesitation for the current sale prices. The fork is plenty stiff (I am 225 pounds and do have a full squish bike with a Fox Float to compare) and you will never look back for second.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.