Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run this spec? Intense website says min fork length spec is 100mm. I realize that an optimum fork length would be at least 130mm to balance the rear travel, but I'm hoping to use my current fork from my Tracer if I upgrade to the 5.5.....until I can afford to buy a new fork, which will be a while.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I found my 5point5 to be a little to steep ( steep head angle ) with a Minute 130mm fork. You are steering all the time and it feels like a race bike at 100mm, not a trail bike. I replaced it with a Nixon and I prefer the geometry with the longer fork. I'll bet you won't like it with 100mm.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't imagine that it would be much fun with a 100mm fork. There are still a lot of 2005 and earlier forks out there that are being blown out. You could get on a 120mm-130mm fork for pretty cheap.

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
I've got a Fox TALAS on mine, and I'm not happy with it when the fork is in reduced travel mode. It's even a little steep with it in 125mm mode.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the Float RLC 130

VpointVick said:
I've got a Fox TALAS on mine, and I'm not happy with it when the fork is in reduced travel mode. It's even a little steep with it in 125mm mode.
I'm an XC rider...endurance racing/epic riding is my thing. I test road a Float RLC 130 on a 5.5 and really liked it. Hopefully, I can snatch up an '05 for a good price somewhere. I'm not a big fan of SPV on the front....makes sense on the back, but the minute just doesn't feel compliant. Maybe part of that is that I haven't spent enough time riding w/ an SPV fork.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
BlueSprocket said:
I'm an XC rider...endurance racing/epic riding is my thing. I test road a Float RLC 130 on a 5.5 and really liked it. Hopefully, I can snatch up an '05 for a good price somewhere. I'm not a big fan of SPV on the front....makes sense on the back, but the minute just doesn't feel compliant. Maybe part of that is that I haven't spent enough time riding w/ an SPV fork.
I've been running my Minute for a year, and it's been great. If I were forced to replace it today, I'd look at the RS Revelation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You would be crazy to run a 100mm fork! I ran a Vanilla 125 & I always felt the HA was way too steep. I have since switched to a Nixon & love the bike even more. Even though it's hard, spring for the right fork, you will not be sorry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 4 the input

I appreciate the responses. I went ahead and purchased an '05 Fox Float R today.....PricePoint has them on sale for $299 (Check out the MTBR Hot Deals if you want one). I'll post my build when it's done in a couple weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts