Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime's, I think I could use a 100mm fork instead of the 80mm in my Kona Hei Hei. especially with a more technical track down.
I'm wondering if it's possible and what will happen if I put a 100mm fork in the frame. Will the geo change to much and make it to slack, will I face problems with climbing?
I can't find any info on the web, am I the first one with the idea to upgrade the fork?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It will be a little more slack, which is what you want if you want it to descend a little more easily. The trade off is that you might have to shift your weight a little more forward when you climb.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did it with mine and it works great. Had to lower the handlebars and get a non-setback post to maintain my position, but it goes from a 70° HTA to a 69° HTA. It's definitely noticeable. Rips the descents, but wants to wander a little more on climbs. Once you get used to it, it's a good trade off.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have never even ridden mine with an 80mm fork, 100 feels great to me. Not super twitchy steering but the front end isn't lifting off the ground on steep climbs or anything. I like it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Yeah, I mean, a 100mm fork would just put the Hei Hei in the same geometry as every other Kona XC bike. I know from experience that it works well once you get used to it. Descending is dee-lightful, even on my hard tail, with that head angle.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you're riding a reba 80mm, somewhere in the forums there have been a couple posts how to disassemble, pop out a plastic spacer, and convert to 100mm. I've thought about it but so far I'm pretty happy with the shorter travel, maybe when it's time for some maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts