Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm entering a 100km ride over 2 days (50 per day) in an adventure style race. I don't plan on being 'competitive' I just want to finish.

My Bike weighs 15 kg so it's no light weight and I was wondring if any-one has had experience that would help me comfortably complete the ride?

I currently ride about 100km per week and am just planning to increase it to 150km per week. I usually ride with my lyrik forks set at 135mm.

How often should I have Gu and or power bars on this sort of ride????

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
50km per day on the Nomad isn't a problem. I've done 55km on mine running 2.5" UST Maxxis Minion tyres. It'll be fairly slow going but look to average around 12-15km/hr and you'll be right. If you can average any faster that is good too. I wouldn't worry about the energy gels for that distance if you are just looking to finish. Eat something more filling about half way through each ride and wash it down with some energy drink and water.

·
Registered
736 Posts
100 Km race on a Nomad

Huuummm........what's your longest rraining ride you've done? What foods have you used that worked for you?
It's in training that we find out what does work:thumbsup: and what DOESN'T :nono: for YOU!!:) Not your ridding/taining buddies or any other person. Through years of tri competing and mtnbike racing what works for me is several parts:

A. Training long distance rides of similar race distances both on roads and more difficult terrain. If a REAL long race go to 80% of the race distance. For example for a one day 200 mile road ride I did two 150 mile rides. For marathons did max runs of 18 to 20 miles.

B. Days before race lots of water or whatever hydration drink I'l be using the day of the race.

C.. Carbo-load night beforerace meal. For ME : rice and beans, baked potatoes, corn muffins.

D. Race day breakfast. For ME Oatmeal, toast coffee. (For one of my old racin'/trainin' buddies it was opened coca-cola can left overnight in refrigerator to let all the "fizz" out.:eekster: GROSS!! BUT..........it worked for HIM!!).

E. During the race. Baked potato pieces with salt on them; carried them in sandwichbags; corn muffins, PowerBar vanilla GU, drinking a lite Cytomax Tropical punch in Camelback.

F. MOST important!! Do NOT night before or morning of or during a race use a food item you've never used before!!:nono: It COULD mean a DNF. (did not finish) :eekster: cause the foodmade you sickie!! Seen it toooo many times, believe me!! BAD Ju-Ju!!:nono: Remember you went to race and finish NOT to go so far away after so much work and $$ and training to go puke on the race course.

Again this is MY experience and found whut Works for me!! :thumbsup:
Good luck in your training!! What race is it your getting ready for?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would recommend Sportlegs before the ride as prescribed on the package as well as at least once during the ride, if not twice. This will help you to avoid cramps. You might want to do a test run beforehand to see how you react to Sportlegs. Always a good idea to try something out before you race on it.

For energy during the ride, I use Cytomax pre-formance. It's like regular Cyto but it also has protein. Taking protein during long rides has been shown to improve endurance by as much as 40%. Plus Cyto has all the carb (sugar) energy and electrolytes you will need.

For food keep it simple eat a decent sized breakfast about 1.5 hours before the ride, something like a 3-egg omelet would be ideal. During the ride eat small snacks approximately each hour. Peanut butter and honey (or agave nectar for slower absorption) on wheat bread is a great DIY snack. If you prefer to just buy something, Cliff bars are pretty good. I recommend choosing one of the flavors with a higher higher protein content. I believe a lot of athletes overlook the importance of protein before, during, and after rides.

Obviously drink plenty of water as well. begin hydrating a few days prior and don't fall behind. Drink a glass of water every hour or so thru-out the day and keep on it during the race. Try to stay ahead of the curve by drinking before you feel dehydrated.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
whats your wheel/tire combo? since its a nomad im gonna assume you're running a fairly large tire and a heavy wheel? maybe you can swap to a heavy duty XC wheelset and 2.1's for the race. a couple pounds off the tires will feel huge.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tomsmoto said:
whats your wheel/tire combo? since its a nomad im gonna assume you're running a fairly large tire and a heavy wheel? maybe you can swap to a heavy duty XC wheelset and 2.1's for the race. a couple pounds off the tires will feel huge.
Running DT 5.1s with hope pro II hubs. Tyres will be Specialized Captain 2.2 at the front and Fast Track 2.2 on the Rear.

I have been training on Nevegal 2.35 dtc but they have bad rolling resistence.. Not sue if the Specialized tyres are lighter though??? I'm just assuming they'll be faster with less rolling resistance?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've done a 100k race on a Nomad and it was very comfy. It pedals so well you don't really notice the weight penalty. Don't worry about it. Best part is you'll be able to shred the technical sections where other people will be struggling on their 'marathon' bikes

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.