Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hard to say

Having read your thread in the Beginners Corner, you need to slow down for a few minutes and think about some things. First and most importantly, what type of riding do you intend to do? Will you be riding cross country/singletrack? Do you want to do urban riding? Dirt Jumping? Freeride or downhill? 30 minutes ago you were looking for a decent deal on a $600 hardtail, now it's a $1000 full suspension rig. I'm by no means criticizing, just trying to head you off from making the wrong decision.

First, determine what you want to do in terms of riding styles. If you don't know, do some research on cross-country, urban, downhill and other types of riding. See which one appeals to you most. Then you can start narrowing down your bike choices to hardtail, full suspension, etc. In general, you can buy a really nice hardtail for less than $1000. There are some deals to be had on full suspension rigs if you shop around. before you do though, continue to educate yourself. Read more on this site, ask questions, and begin to understand the differences in the components offered by different manufacturers, and you'll find that your decision in the end will be a better one.

If you want an absoulte answer to your question on the $1000 full suspension bike, there are some deals to be had out there, especially if you can find one of last year's leftovers. Other than that, I think that if you spend $1000, you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade components once you find the limitations of the bike. I would guess that your options in the $1200-$1500 range would probably eliminate much of the needs for upgrades down the line.

Just my thoughts.

Clyde

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^ I have read up on what types of riding I want to do.... I've done a whole lot of reading since I've wanted to start biking. XC and urban riding is what I'll do most of. I want to eventually move onto freeriding and doing drops and stuff. So let me rephrase my question anyone know a good XC bike for around $1000? I have read reviews and there are so many bikes I don't know what's good. I don't want a hardtail.

·
Registered
10,026 Posts
itsmekwen said:
^^ I have read up on what types of riding I want to do.... I've done a whole lot of reading since I've wanted to start biking. XC and urban riding is what I'll do most of. I want to eventually move onto freeriding and doing drop and stuff. So let me rephrase my question anyone know a good XC bike for around $1000? I have read reviews and there are so many bikes I don't know what's good. I don't want a hardtail.
At a $1000 pricepoint for a full suspension you are going to be much better off going used. There are few, if any 1K FS rigs available new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jeckyll

would the 2005 cannondale jeckyll be a good choice for this price range $1099? I was originally looking for a hardtail (more bang for the buck at this price range), but then I found this bike and it seems to fit what I'm looking for pretty well, primarilly xc w/ some dh. And for the price it seems to have the same components as a lot of the hardtails in about the same price range, well maybe a few hundred more, but whose counting. :) Does anyone Know the weight of this bike?

·
Registered
253 Posts
New Jeckyll weighs in at about 34 lbs. My bike shop is sold out and said they are selling them until they run out of frames. He also said they will not be getting any more in. It sounds to me like they are limited production, so if you are going to snatch one, better hurry. I was wondering if they would replace the frame later on with a prophet frame if there are any warranty issues, since Jeckyll frames are running low.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
For $1100 you can get a Jamis Dakar Sport which has a solid selection of components. It's definitely an XC machine though... I wouldn't use it for freeriding or big drops. For the same price you can also get a Kona Kikapu, which is another solid performer. Most of the big bike manufacturers seem to have something in this price range ($1100-ish), and they will all be decent but not spectacular. Look for at least Deore or X-7 drivetrain components, a big name fork & shock and good brakes (disc if you want them).

I'd suggest going to every LBS in your area and finding out what they have. Test ride everything in your price range and pick the one that fits you best. Fit is far more important in the long run... a $300 bike that fits will feel a lot better than a $3000 bike that doesn't.

- Jen.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I totally agree with others that you should try as many bikes as possible and know what size bike will fit you best. If it's your first real mountain bike, I storngly recommend you buy a bike from your Local Bike Shops. If you are certain about your size, check '04 Kona bikes, either Dawg or Kikapu, at wheelworld.com.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
milehillmtbr said:
would the 2005 cannondale jeckyll be a good choice for this price range $1099? I was originally looking for a hardtail (more bang for the buck at this price range), but then I found this bike and it seems to fit what I'm looking for pretty well, primarilly xc w/ some dh. And for the price it seems to have the same components as a lot of the hardtails in about the same price range, well maybe a few hundred more, but whose counting. :) Does anyone Know the weight of this bike?
Where did you find the Cannondale Jekyll for $1099? .... where can you find Cannondale bikes online?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BlueBike said:
I totally agree with others that you should try as many bikes as possible and know what size bike will fit you best. If it's your first real mountain bike, I storngly recommend you buy a bike from your Local Bike Shops. If you are certain about your size, check '04 Kona bikes, either Dawg or Kikapu, at wheelworld.com.
The only thing that sucks is that there aren't many bike shop where I live. I know I need a size M or 17-18" bike. I think I might get the new Haro Extreme X2. Read a bunch of reviews and it seems like a good bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.