Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks. To give some background on myself, I'm 30, 6'2", and currently about 287lbs, down from 305 at the start of the year.

To make a long story short, my dad and I are riding bikes together to lose weight, and he's got himself a mountain bike (A 2009 Scott Aspect) while I've got a gravel bike (2021 Poseidon X).

We've been doing mainly road stuff, but started to explore some off-road trails. Most of them have been just hard packed dirt / gravel / some grass, and my gravel has soaked it up fine and happily.

This past weekend the spot we've been hitting, he wanted to try the intermediate trail they have, which he said is good for beginners. I said sure and rode it with him. A small majority of it was just some narrow paths and climbs and pumps, but the rest were pretty technical sections with lots of roots. I handled them pretty well for the most part on my 700x35 tires, all except the biggest of roots.

It was fun, but not an experience I would want to repeat on a fully rigid bike. As well, I'm still very much a beginner (there were def sections that being able to bunny hop would have helped).

So I'm in the market for a decent hard tail. Not looking to do anything too advanced with it. I know my local state park has a bunch of trails ranging from easy to challenging skills section, and there's other spots on the area to visit as well (I'm in the DE / PA area).

My budget is around $1000, +/- ~$100; I'm more than willing if I find that I like it a lot and advance more to sell what I get now to help upgrade later (And by upgrade I mean buy in to a better bike).

From what I've looked at, it seems the Vitus Nucleus VRS should fit the bill for me reasonably well. I'd much rather stay with a 1x system if at all possible in this price range. But any other biles I should look at? (And I do have my eye on my local used marketplaces, but they're flooded with a majority of Small to Medium frames primarily; to the point where it's a ratio of about every ten used bikes I look at are medium, and only 1 is in a large / xl for that brand that would nominally "fit" me).

·
Registered
15,282 Posts
The Vitus Sentier 29 has a better air fork and 12x148(current standard) rear hub. Stronger than the 10x135 quick release on the Nucleus. You could break that.

For your area and potential terrain i'd kick in a bit more and buy once with a Ragley Big Al 1.0.

That channel has lots of good info and reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Vitus Sentier 29 has a better air fork and 12x148(current standard) rear hub. Stronger than the 10x135 quick release on the Nucleus. You could break that.

For your area and potential terrain i'd kick in a bit more and buy once with a Ragley Big Al 1.0.

That channel has lots of good info and reviews.
I realized that recently that the Nucleus only has the one through axle.

Made me look at the Polygon Xtrada 7 since that is spec'd similar to the Nucleus but has both as thru axles.

The Ragley looks beautiful but with shipping that's gonna put me into not having the cash together until the end of the year.

Looking at the Polygon since I can get that with PayPal credit I can get that now and with my pay raise coming up afford the payments easily.

That was my other consideration: 29er or 27.5

Also seeing in drivable distance some Rockjumper Comps used for ~700-800

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More I'm looking at it more I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Polygon. Air fork, 29, thru axles on both wheels, 1x drive system. Their guide says I should get an XL but looking at things I think I can get away with a large.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
You need an air fork. Only way to adjust for weight.
29 always for a hardtail.
Hey, I have a 27.5 hardtail that works...fine? I got a great deal on it and if I were to do it over again I'd certainly get a 29er. That's good advice you gave.

Also, that Big Al seems like an awesome bike. Bigger wheels than my Marley...

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
More I'm looking at it more I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the Polygon. Air fork, 29, thru axles on both wheels, 1x drive system. Their guide says I should get an XL but looking at things I think I can get away with a large.
That looks like a pretty good bike for the money. I'd think that the XL would be a better fit at your size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a pretty good bike for the money. I'd think that the XL would be a better fit at your size.
As I said I'm 6'2", but most of my height is in my upper body. I've only got a 32" inseam. So I'm thinking I can get by on the large by looking at the geometry sheets.

I did test out a Giant Talon 4 today in their large which seemed like a pretty decent fit for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.