Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $1000 to spend on a bike. I want to do mostly single tracking, with maybe some easier downhilling (like the green trails up at keystone, beaver creek, etc). I probably would not be interested in drops of more than 1 or 2 feet at most. I'm relatively new to biking... just started in august on a lower end specialized, now i'm looking to upgrade to a better bike. I'm curious what people think would suit me best. Also, i'm 6'6", 230 lbs, so i need a bike with the guts to withstand some weight.

In this price range, i really only have 1 option for a full suspension:
a GT Force 3.0: http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/Mountain/All-Mountain/Details/5912-G10FOR3-Force-3.0

In this price range for a hardtail (i'm a tall guy, so i know i definitely want a 29er if i go the HT route). I have a few options:
The first is a Novara Ponderosa 29er: http://www.rei.com/product/791134 (problem with this bike is the fork, but maybe it would be ok for me?)

Second: Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39225&menuItemId=0 (Not totally sure about this fork, tho i assume it's a step up form the Dart 3). This bike is also a tad too big for me, but not so much it couldn't work.

So, hope i didn't give too many details here! What are you guys' thoughts?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would suggest buying used and going full suspension.Alot of slightly used bikes on ebay/craigslist type.With this economy,let someone else take the hit!Good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Don't get a Novara, REI is a scam in my opinion.
You can get a FSRXC for around $1250.
If you do not want to go the 29er route then you could also look at a Rock hopper SL for$1,100-ish.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah unfortunately, $1000 is about my max, in fact, already a little more than i was planning on spending. If a truly incredible deal popped up, i might be able to stretch it to 1200, but i'm really hoping to stick to $1000. For my size, it seems like those 3 really are my best options...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the best option would be to buy a frame only and put your old parts on it then upgrade progressively. Or wait and spare.
For example a Banshee Paradox (29 er AM hardtail) at 600$. And then there's 400$ for 29 wheels and forks. It's doable.

·
SoCal mtbr
332 Posts
My LBS (North of the Border Bikes) has KHS full suspension bikes on sale right now for $1200. Pretty good build too. Give them a call if you want more details 858-452-1230. My friend bought one and he's pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
semperfi658 said:
to save money go bikesdirect. then upgrade the shitty fork later when you get the money
As far as I know bikesdirect does not sell anything in the AM Category. All the Mountain Bikes are for XC.

Closest to 1,000 you will find that is a AM bike is more than likely going to be the Flite Suggested by Prettym1k3. The Kona is a 5 inch bike, which is kind of in the middle of XC and AM, I would call it more XC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are those Windsor Bikes Legit? The Sette bikes i would be interested in don't come in a size big enough for me, but the Windsor does. I guess when i look at the component group on those bikes, the old "if it seems to good be to true..." saying comes to mind. How can they be so cheap?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are going to need a very large frame. I recommend a 22'' top tube length. Any MTB priced above $550 should be good enough. For someone your size...make sure you don't get square taper cranks they are cheap, stock and weak. A wider handle bar will help with comfort and control. Getting the better wheel set on a stock bike is something to look for then make sure they are hand tensioned properly before going hard on them.
+ then spend the extra $ on a longer seat post if needed, tires, pedals, riser bar/ bar ends,

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
mclaren880 said:
Are those Windsor Bikes Legit? The Sette bikes i would be interested in don't come in a size big enough for me, but the Windsor does. I guess when i look at the component group on those bikes, the old "if it seems to good be to true..." saying comes to mind. How can they be so cheap?
Its completely legit .

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
mclaren880 said:
All of the companies on there are owned by Bikes Direct as far as I know. The bikes are legit, in fact Jenson USA just starting selling the Stout 29er that has been on sale at bikes direct for a while now.

How tall are you? Are you actually looking for a All Mountain Bike or are you looking for any Full Suspension or Hard Tail?

·
mtbr member
491 Posts
What's the size of your current bike? What year and model? How does it feel (fit wise) when you're riding it?

Sizing charts are not always reliable. It's best to actually ride a bike before buying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just my opinion but I would stay away from REI. Even their bike accessories look like stuff you would get at Walmart. Maybe it's just the stores near me (utah) but I would never take them seriously as a bike shop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts