Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured I would add another thread to this forum :D

As the description says I am looking to make (or buy a complete) hardtail that I can do some dirtjumping and street riding on. I am a featherweight, around 6' (still have an inch or two left lol) and weigh around 130lbs so I don't need an extremely heavy duty bike. I have a Rally Ram 2.0 that was my "welcome to the world of mountain biking" ride but now that I know what type of riding I am going to be doing which is a lot dirt jumping and hitting some trails every now and then.

The Azonic Steelhead caught my eye because it's very cheap and from what I've heard is a great bike. Sometime or another I'll be riding with RockinG20 and Korrupt (who owns a Steelhead) so I will ask him how he likes it. Anyways, my dad is friends with a guy who owns a bike shop and if we go to him he will give us some deals and will not take no for an answer. My dad helped him out for quite a few years without getting paid (hung out w/him after work, B/S'd and helped him out) and now the owner is pretty much obligated himself to give us discounts to make up for it. And hey, I'm not complainin :D

I have been BMX'ing forever and I do not know about all the parts needed to get a mt bike rideable, since they have a ton of more things required compared to bmx bikes. Besides of the frame and fork I dont know what rims/hubs/etc, cranks, "sprocket gear setup" (cant think of the technical name, all I know is I am leaning to a multi-speed setup if I every go to some trails), bars, brakes (Hayes hydraulics seem to be the go with brand right now), and then there are other parts that will be needed that I'm not thinking of right now.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction to keep me under or close to 1 grand I'd be a happy guy :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you want a complete bike id go with Specialized P series, they r very nice bikes or have a look at some kona bikes. But if you want to build one id say stick with azonic steelhead its a very nice and strong frame.
as for the components i can recomment you some

Derailler: i like the Sram x.7 and it gets nice reviews and its cheap too and alos the sram X.7 shifters.
Handlebar: check out some azonics or easton- personally iv got easton EA50 and i love it but im not sure if its stong enough for some abusive riding but iv done some 7 footers and its perfectly fine.
Fork: only go with Marzocchi the other ones r crap will break in a day. Id check out dj 3 or if you want something better the Z series are great.
Wheels:Shimano XT disc hubs laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rims with 14g straight spokes. You might consider going with Sun Rhyno Lite XL for the back if you ride very hard.
Headset: Pesonally iv got FSA Pig DH Pro and they r great and also cheap.

Thats all i can help you with so far, I hope it will help. Good luck with the bike and make sure u tell us what u end up with.
;)

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Ruskyi121 said:
If you want a complete bike id go with Specialized P series, they r very nice bikes or have a look at some kona bikes. But if you want to build one id say stick with azonic steelhead its a very nice and strong frame.
as for the components i can recomment you some

Derailler: i like the Sram x.7 and it gets nice reviews and its cheap too and alos the sram X.7 shifters.
Handlebar: check out some azonics or easton- personally iv got easton EA50 and i love it but im not sure if its stong enough for some abusive riding but iv done some 7 footers and its perfectly fine.
Fork: only go with Marzocchi the other ones r crap will break in a day. Id check out dj 3 or if you want something better the Z series are great.
Wheels:Shimano XT disc hubs laced to Sun Rhyno Lite rims with 14g straight spokes. You might consider going with Sun Rhyno Lite XL for the back if you ride very hard.
Headset: Pesonally iv got FSA Pig DH Pro and they r great and also cheap.

Thats all i can help you with so far, I hope it will help. Good luck with the bike and make sure u tell us what u end up with.
;)
I almost agree and will explain in a minute. First, go with the steelhead build! I'd always rather custom spec a bike than buy stock (although the P series are spec'd nicely and are cheap). As for parts, ditto the XT/Rhynos, ditto the Pig headset. Bars are really about preference and at 130 lbs, pick what you like. I have to disagree acompletely on the fork. I had been a die hard Zoke guy (and they do make great product) but decided to try a Sherman this year on my Chameleon and I have to say that the Sherman (TPC+ not SPV) is as stiff as any zoke Ive used, is slightly lighter weight and has better small bump sensitivity than my Zokes have had. Im not saying dont buy a Zoke but I am saying that its the only option. I would not get a DJ series if you do. Its too specific and when you throw a 7lb fork on a 7+ pound hardtail frame, you're bike is going to be more than a tad on the ehavy side for no real reason. Go Sherman or Z series on the fork.

As for the rest, Profile cranks would be sweet but a good DH crank will work well also (I use Holzfellers). Use a good 3 or 4 bearing bottom bracket (trust me on this one). Ive had good luck recently with Truvativ Giga Pipe Team DH (although I had a bad experience with their Sealex xc stuff a while ago). Get some good flats and consider a singelspeed - they rock for jumping! Ill let someone else address the brake issue. I like discs but I also ride my Chameleon all around not just DJ. For jumping only, v's will be fine and frankly, you don't really need the front. Don't forget to get a guide if you are running 1x9 too. E13, MRP, of Truvativ, take your pick depending on budget.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.