Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - Anybody want to help me source parts for a 29" build? I think I'm a good enough mechanic to put everything together, perhaps with some instruction from the forum on how to cut/build the headset/fork (never done that.)

I ride local routes on my 20 year old rigid mtb (when I'm not road cycling.) A typical ride for me is 7.5 miles of singletrack with some undeveloped, kinda technical, roots and rocks. Some moderate off-the-saddle climbs.

I ride in lousy weather in Maryland - that means mud, rain, and all the goodness that comes with that.

BTW: I tried the Haro Mary geared in the LBS parking lot and was pretty impressed. I'd love to get it out on the trail and see if it really fits the bill.
I'm 6'4" 215 pounds and 33 inseam.
Age - well, let's just say I bought my current mtb new (rebuilt a few times.)
Recreational use - twice a week.
I'm thinking 29" geared hardtail. I'd consider something like an 8 speed if that makes sense.
low maintenance front suspension
I'd like to stay around $1000
durability/low maint are key for me
Used parts are generally fine for me. Even refinishing a frame would be fine.
Mechanical discs are fine with me.
So, if you were building from scratch with these specs - what would you look for?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try the fisher line, they make decently light 29ers with decent compontents priced pretty well.

The Xcaliber is only about 1200 (maybe you can find an 06 on closeout very cheap), it has the Reba fork, which performs very well and is very tuneable

It also uses BB7's which are very powerful mechanical disk brakes

And the componentry package is pretty decent (X-7 i believe)

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Mary is a sweet bike on the trail ( it shines better there then the parking lot)
has a preety good spec out of the box, The frame has nice oversized steel. The Reba will give your upper body a nice change from your Fuji ( I still ride my 85 Ritchey Rigid too) Keeping your build under 1000 may be tough when you add the frame and Reba. ( save dough and stay rigid is an option) but as we get older i know I appreciate the cushion :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Considering your size, I'd start with an XL steel frame. Inbred or Karate Monkey. Lots of used ones floating around, but even the new ones are dirt cheap as far as 29ers go.
Can't beat em.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have a paragon frame (19") 05' and reba race with poploc for sale 450. i ran avids mechs on it just wonderfully. i also have a deore isis crankset, with a bb that fits, for sale also. not sure if your looking to part it together or if you wanna buy new/stock complete bike. just throwin options out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.