Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a light for $100 and under that priduces 150+lumens. Also I dont want to go the flashlight route since they have very short battery lives and get too hot. I was looking at a dinotte 200l with AA. Is there any better option.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
For the record, I currently use a SSC P7 flashlight on my bars and an EagleTac T10L on my helmet. During and after my rides, both lights are extremely cold to the touch. I use the EagleTac on high (255 lumen) and I alternate between Med (apprx. 180 lumen), and High (approx 550 lumen) on the SSC P7 and usually only need one. I actually have two on my bars so I can switch over when one fades out. I have only had to do this once, on a ride over 2.5 hrs.
Granted, the EagleTac was approx. $60, but the quality is apparent. You could go with a similar 230-250 lumen light from dx for $20-30 and around $130 total for your setup (batteries, charger, mounts).
My helmet mounts cost about $2.50 (I think...could have been $5). The group I ride with are pretty darn impressed with the amount of light.

So, depending on how long you ride at night, you shouldn't rule out flashlights unless you really just don't like them...just something to consider; regardless, I hope you find what you are looking for.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
harry2110 said:
How long does the battery last on the eagletac and where did you get it?
I purchased it from the eagletac-store.com (online...the same as 4sevens.com) I had a discount code. Can't remember what it is right now, someone shared it with me in the SSC P7 thread I think.
Anyway, the site claims the EagleTac T10L last for 2 hours on high. I have used it for over 2 hours (2.5) and did not realize until the ride was nearly over that it had dropped down to 50% I think.
It has a rear clicky for on and off and a head twist for high and med. It also has a much brighter hot spot than the alleged 900 lumen SSC P7s. It makes a great throw light on my helmet as I look to see what is coming ahead or around a bend.
Good luck with whatever you end up with.

·
Registered
648 Posts
+1 for flashlights

You just can't beat the lumen output for the price. You will have to get a few batteries if your rides are long. If you keep moving they don't get hot. Picked two flashlights up from dealextreme. Have an MTE P7 and an Aurora SSC P7-Cbin. The Aurora's huge but takes two 18650 batteries, much brighter output and lasts longer. I still use my old Light and Motion Stella on the helmet but it's dim compared to the flashlights and I paid $180 for it a year ago. If I had to do it over I wouldn't get it.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
harry2110 said:
Can these be mounted on a helmet?
Just keep in mind, if you go with the dealextreme 'gun' mounts (I use it and it works great), with the mount and light, you have another two inches on your helmet to account for. I have had only one close call when riding (ducking under a tree), and I did scrape the ceiling of my car once when ducking in to grab my water bottle (rookie move). For the most part it is a non-issue, but worth mentioning. If you look at the 3 MTE SSC P7 thread, you will see some guys just strapped them to the top of their helmet using velcro and old innertube pieces for grip and to create lift for the right angle.
Happy Shopping.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'll throw in my opinion of the Dinotte. I've been commuting and trail riding with my 200L-AAS for a few months now and I'm very pleased with it. I ordered it without the batteries and charger because I knew I could get better elsewhere.

The light has excellent high/med/low which are significantly different than each other. With most lights I have seen, there is no real difference. I use the low setting for taking breaks on the trail with my friends so I don't accidentally hit them with so much beam flash when we are talking.

The Dinotte 200L AA comes with two battery holders. I carry an extra one in my seatbag just in case. I've never needed it though.

You were talking about temperature and from what I've found, the Dinotte never even gets more than slightly warm to the touch. It's a very nice design that sinks the back of the LED directly to the chassis. Check out this tear-down:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=210005

The down side to the Dinotte is the somewhat goofy helmet mount. Unless you perch the light almost directly on top of your helmet, you can't angle the light up enough to be useful...it points down too much. When it is on top of your helmet, it adds a couple of inches to the top of your head and you have to watch out for branches.

Anyway...just my thoughts. Good luck!

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ive actually been looking at the flashlights now as they seem to be the lightest, brightest, and cheapest route. What would you suggest for the use on the bars if Im partially night blind. I wont be doing much off roading with them as the trails in the area cant be ridden at night because the owners think that the bike are dirt bikes /atvs. Im also not runing flat bars if that helps and a gps is one side of them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
As from some other threads, I would recommend this:

MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 5-Mode Super LED Flashlight
TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2500mAh 2-Pack Blue)
UltraFire 3.6/3.7V Battery Charger

Universal Bicycle Mount
Out of the box the top and the bottom will be flimsy BUT as posted by someone in another thread all you have to do is superglue the bottom to the top. That's what I did and it's rock solid.

Universal Bicycle Mount for Flashlights and Gadgets
I also have this mount it's sturdier but you can't clip it on/off as easy as the other one.

If you wanted to attach the light to the helmet get this mount. It will sit pretty high on the helmet but it's rubber/nylon so in case of a crash the good part is that it wont go through your helmet and into your head:
Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights

You might want to pick up two packs of the protected batteries and you'll have 4 batteries which should give you ~4hrs of runtime on high, medium and low will give you much more.

If you wanted a lighter light for the helmet, this one looks good and uses the 18650 batteries like the MTE one. I don't have this light though so I can't speak of its output.
TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight

If you've never bought from DX, they're in HK and shipping will be slow. The quality on the goods varies as well but DX has a great return/exchange policy, it just takes a LONG time if your order's bunk. Can't beat the price though.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've got the small MC-E on order aim to run 2 head mounted if there as good as I hope, the 2nd 1 linked looks huge and will likely weigh a tonne.

Should get 1hour 45mins really each, just run 1 at a time saving 2 for fast sections.

I mount mine with simple strips of inner tube works great and gives abit in a tree contact.

Anything below this ie 150lumen bike light is pretty much not worth bothering with these days as these are sooooo cheap.

And if you want to ride for 14hours, just buy a few more batterys sorted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You guys ride with flashlights on your helmet instead of a "real" bike light? I am doing a 24 hour ride in the spring and am looking at light options...preferably without breaking the bank. Is this you main light or a secondary set up. Thanks.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Alot of the guys run with flashlights on the bar and helmet. These are no ordinary flashlights though, there is a reason they call them "torches."

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I'm in the process of looking for a light setup myself.

I've narrowed it down to a SSC P7 style or some type of MC-E.

There are many, many, many variations of the two styles which is making it extremely hard to be sure I purchase the correct ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.