Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new fork. I want a Fox for sure and
am leaning towards the 80mm. But should I get a 100 mm?
My frame's geometry is set for 80mm. But does it make THAT
big a difference. My gut reaction is to go with the 80mm since
my bike is made for 80 and it's a ti hard tail. Just seems wierd to
me to have 100 mm of travel up front and NONE in the back.
Anyone riding 100 with a h.t.?

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
titustiguy said:
I ride a xc ht with 105mm up front (manitou x-vert super). I like it a lot, but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
6,946 Posts
Just a thought. Get the float 100 which can be then be set at 80mm if you don't like the 100mm setting. Also, Larry at Mountainhighcyclery apparently knows how to set the float to a 90 mm mode (do a search) which might be a good compromise. (I'll also throw out he probably has the best prices on fox forks to begin with).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As far as I know, the Fox Float 100 and Terralogic 100 forks are convertable to 80mm with just a spacer. They only sell the 100 in some models since the 100 and 80 are the same fork. So, you could try both amounts of suspension travel and see if you like one better than the other.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,751 Posts
titustiguy said:
My gut reaction is to go with the 80mm since
Then there's me, riding a Ti soft tail with NO travel up front (custom steel fork). Just finished a 100 mile race (Durango MTB100) using that set-up. No problem and I swear it works better (certainly does uphill -- isn't a rigid fork what all manufacturers try to emulate?). Because of my lack of nerve, I actually go faster downhill without front suspension.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Same setup here

I have a Riddler hardtail that was designed for 80mm. I ran my Fox Vanilla 125R at 80 mm for the first year, then set it to 100 mm this year. The handling with 80 was very sharp, sometimes a bit too sharp for my liking. Going with 100 seems to have slowed down the steering a little bit. Also, I notice the front end height is up - which makes descending a little better, but climbing might be a fuzz more difficult (can be compensated for by rider position). With most Fox forx, you can adjust the travel between 80 and 100 like others have said, so you really can't go wrong. Just try 100 (since you're at 80 now) and see how you like it. If you don't like it, drop it down to 80.

While the change is slight, it is noticeable and you'll have to decide if you like what you gain against any apparent losses.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
PeT said:
Then there's me, riding a Ti soft tail with NO travel up front (custom steel fork). Just finished a 100 mile race (Durango MTB100) using that set-up.
And then there's me with NONE out back and 130 mm up front. That's how I likes it, and that's how I'll race it at 24/Moab.

·
otb club member
3,016 Posts
Heck, you can even choose 90 if you want.

As others have pointed out, if you get the 100, you can switch spacers around to get 80. Someone (on the "old" message boards) made his own custom spacer because he wanted travel somewhere in between the stock set points. So, with the Fox you have nothing to loose, as you can experiment with anything between the high and low range. Of course if you think you may want different travel settings for different rides, you may want to look at one of the forks with an external travel adjustment.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would go with 100

titustiguy said:
I am also an owner of a hardtail. I recently upgraded to a Manitou Black Platinum which is adjustable from 90 to 120 mm of travel, and I absolutely love it. The answer to your question "does it really make that big of a difference" in reference to frame geometry is NO. I had a RS Duke at 80mm before I upgraded and I can actually corner better with the Black. I have never ridden a FOX Fork, but have you considered a Manitou Black. Mine has travel,lockout,compression,and rebound adjusters and I have never had such a nice Fork before. However, FOX is an excellent company and you won't go wrong with them. The reason I chose a fork with 120mm available is because I love to bomb back downhill, and Manitou is notorious for making forks that are plush enough to soak up the bumps, but have the rebound tackle the stutters too. So, think about it and feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you have a question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts