Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: 6-3, 240 lbs, healthy age 55, rabid 29er hard tail fan after owning two 26" XC full suspension: one aluminum, one carbon fiber race. Zero interest in FS regardless of wheel diameter.

Bike: 2009 Fuji Tahoe SL 29er hard tail size 21", Reba/Rock Shox dual air.

Trails: rocky, rutted No. Utah, 35+ mph downhill sections.

Must replace the front wheel. OEM was WTB Laser Disc, $200. "Speed Disc" is only $100. Do I spend the extra $100?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
No don't replace it with that wheel, contact a custom wheel builder and get yourself a nice custom wheel using a Stans Flow rim and your choise of hub (some have had issues with my fav the Hope Pro2s with through axles) - should prob cost about the same as if you bought the WTB depending on hub choice. Actually if it were me since you were already looking to spoend more and upgrade your bike/frame why not treat yourself to a complete custom tubeless wheelset ;)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
What hub and spokes are on the SpeedDisc wheel? Rim wise, the Laser and Speed disc 29er rims (Trail and AM) are very close weight and quality wise. Spokes and nipples would make a little difference (the LaserDisc uses 14/15 with alloy nipples) weight wise. Front hubs could make some difference...but not nearly as much as a rear hub. Front hubs are pretty simple...2 bearings (cartridge or cup and cone), and axle, and a shell. I've had generic cartridge bearing hubs (Formula, Joytech, etc) last just as long and work just as well as hubs costing way more (like DT 240's). I've also used cup and cone Shimano hubs for years with no issues. Some front hubs offer multiple axle diameters (such as Hope Pro 2, DT 240 OS) but if your fine with 9mm QR it's not worth paying more.

I guess it really depends on other factors than just the rim

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The best I can learn from WTB is the Speed hub is "heavier" (at my weight this seems irrelevant) and straight 14-gauge spokes.

I'm leaning toward the $100 Speed Disc wheel and saving pennies for tubeless later (starting three businesses simultaneously does a number on one's finances).

Thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts