Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone else here that races and rides in the UK like to see 100 mile events start over here? Even if the Merida round added in one longer distance option a year op top of the 100km it would be a welcome addition to alot of riders i think. Half the time the claimed 100km distance is only about 87km anyway. What do other UK riders think here?
I think we're ready for more of a challenge seeing the huge turn out at the 50, 75 and 100 km events. :thumbsup:
I hope i don't sound like i'm taking about the merida events in a bad way, they are amazing events i think.

·
NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
36 Posts
Hi there!

Lots of endurance race in the UK. If you check British Cycling page, you can fined a dozen 12 and 6 hour races, where you are able to ride more then 100 miles.
I will do some 12 and 24 hours this year.... if I ever get back my fXXkin front fork......

Where are you located?

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, i'm based in Dublin but the endurance race scene in Ireland is near non existent at the moment. I travel over to the UK for a few long distance events each year, this season i've entered the torchbearer 12hr, Maxx exposure south downs way enduro, and the dusk till dawn.
I really recommend the Maxx by the way!! It's a really cool event. I've done the Dyfi enduro already which was a really fun and relaxed event, the organisers have the layout totally sorted. My first year or 12hrs this year, I think it will be mentally tough going around in circles though rather than going from point a to point b, and knowing the faster you ride the sooner you arrive.
What events have you done/ are you doing?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:
I talked to the Queen.... she said we need to wait a few more years before we start doing dirty century rides.

Not true. I read somewhere that the Duke of Edinburgh said she likes to ride her dirty centuries fully erect and rigid...although he could have been talking about something else? Dunno, something might have been lost in the translation.

Hip hip cheerio. Spam, spam, spam, spam and more spam. God save Vyvyan Basterd!

·
NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
36 Posts
Lucky bustards over in USA! :))))
You guys has some 12 and 24 hour race on every corner all day long!
I can't wait.... but the teleporting is 4-5 years away...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
there will be one this septemeber - the kielder 100./...

the meridas are a bit rubbish. i raced them for 3 or so years, and it just became a circus with so much flattened grass on the courses that i gave up and started flying to the usa for the wilderness and shenandoa races....technical, superbly run and WAY more fun that hamster style 12/24's with the tiny laps...

but kielder i think will mark the beginning of 100 mile races plus. in the uk...it will also weed out some of the traffic.

a few friends and myself are hoping to put on something similar soon ish and maybe a stage 'gentleman's' race too...

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
hay Jon, interesting what you say about the merida's im being encouraged to do the Selkirk one, been told its quite good, will listen to what you say though., and keep me posted about your " gentleman's" race.....

How was brizzle? your missed a corker at Dalby!

Trev

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there anywhere i can keep updated about the possible kielder race Jon? That's the first i've heard of it.
The main thing that annoy's me about the merida's is how people often walk uphill with there bikes right in the middle of the most ridable part of the trail where i'm coming up from behind, (if you're walkig with your bike can you stick to the side!!:madman: ) i hate starting out fast so this usually happens. I saw the nofussevents in Scotland has a rule about not doing this.
Also if you're not one of the first down the first descent your probably going to get caught in a jam and end up walking for a bit! The course in Penrith last year was pretty good i thought, muddy and just the way i like it. Ruthin is quite a cool course too.
Oh i hate when newbs complain about the courses being muddy at these places.. it IS a mountain bike event!!!!!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
We do have some cool races - but I'd use some disposable income and time to come over to Britain for some epic races (and beer....), that is if the Queen will let me in.

:thumbsup:

Damitletsride! - sorry for the thread hijack - but note that both Chad and I started our own underground series. Chad did the Arizona Endurance Series and I the New Mexico Endurance Series.

If it works for you guys - the freebies like this helps get momentum and more people interested.

Good luck.

Szabcsi said:
You guys has some 12 and 24 hour race on every corner all day long!
I can't wait.... but the teleporting is 4-5 years away...

·
NO PAIN, NO GAIN!
36 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
Szabcsi said:
QUOTE]

Yeah the lucky bastards in the USA seem to have all the good races!:p Well it is argueably where mtb started so we need to give them credit.
I wanna move in the US, but I need a visa and some time.... :p BUT I WANNA MOVE!!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
100 milers?

How's the 3 peaks challenge event? It'a little short of 100, but stretch that beast out a bit, throw in a little pavement, dirt roads, etc., and just use that route for a NMES style fun day long race.

I would assume you have different land access issues, and not as much open, undeveloped space as here in the SWUSA (south west usa), but a little imagination and creativity can go a long way towards avoiding monotonous repetitive circuits on the moors. Or is it the moops? (A little Seinfeldian slip).

Just like Timo references above, our endurance series are awesome, but it costs nothing, and it only takes one rider to start it, and others will follow.

C Cow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts