Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone follows some of the newer type of events that are beginning to take place in the U.S. Two that intrigue me are the 100 mile (single loop) events like the Shenedoah 100 ( http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/home/page_home.htm ) and the underground type events (like the Trans Iowa http://transiowa.blogspot.com/) that take a whole weekend to complete which would be completely self supported....dirt roads, single track, in one massive loop that is about 300 miles or 480 km....getting food and water supplies when passing through towns etc. These look like so much fun. Is anyone else interested in these type of events? Getting bored with the 24 hour stuff and looking for something to train for.

What does everyone else think?

·
Living Life Behind Bars..
380 Posts
sperky said:
I'm in Oakville.

There is are so many trails and dirt roads....it has to be possible to have one of these events around here.

Steve
There are a few of us who do a annual " non sanctioned pseudo race / ride " called the Hockley Hundred. It is 110 km and is dirt road, singletrack, old unassumed roads and about 15 km of road. It has some pretty serious elevation when we get up around Mono Cliffs, we do not advertise and there is no fee. PM if you want and I ll email you the info in the summer. Most of the riders that do this are between 35 to 45 years old and we end at Hockley Resort for food / beer and a pool :)

The guys at WOW used to do a Hockley enduro back in 94' to 97' they do the Pine River Ramble and when they run it on Mansfield then cross the river and up the DH ski hill road I think that was 75 km.

The Pauls DIrty Hundred is good ( although I have never finished the 100 km ) it is almost all trail but it is hard. I do not know if they still run the figure 8 course but it is a good one as well.

Last but not least Hardwood had a event a few years ago called the Hardwood Raid ( 80 km ) from Hardwood Hills up to Hockley and back loads of trails up in the area north of Hardwood.

A.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
I like the idea. We did a 100 km tour in the early fall through Hockley and down to Albion and it was great. It was mostly along the Bruce and I'd say about 70% on-trail.

·
380 Posts
I think the North Bay one is called " Lost in the rocks and trees " but I don't think this has any singletrack. I think it is all off road but on double track snowmobile trails and they shortened it to one day event. The first few times they ran it it was a 2 day stage race correct me if I am wrong but I think it was too epic thats why the tamed down version was born.

The Hockley epic we do could be 100 plus on single track but the Bruce trail is anti biking in most spots in this area with the exception of Mono mills. As a result we tend to schedule our ride mid week in the summer as the area is fairly deserted ;)

Chico's one lap O-cup at Albion last year was a good idea I hope they do more of this on a go forward.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
dont forget the leadville 100. lance vs floyd this year.

it wouldnt be difficult to string together 100km or even 100miles worth of trails is southern ontario. the problem lies in coordinating the land use and 'supervising' an event of that magnitude.

we have managed a few 'death loops' of near 100k...takes you the better part of the day and brings us from bolton up a mixture of roads and trails north then down the bruce and hv trails...helluva ride but not so sure they could withstand 100 riders at a time.

something i'd be interested in.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Sorry, as of today...

nogearshere said:
dont forget the leadville 100. lance vs floyd this year.
Lance is out. It was fron page on the bicycling.com email I got this morning. He teabagged us.:nono:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd love to see more long distance races in Ontario. Why do we not have a mountain bike marathon series here? I find the Ontario Cup distances too short for my liking. I want to race for longer then 2-3 hours. The TREK Enduros were fun and now they are gone too, with the exception of the Icebreaker.
Did the Pine River Ramble one year which was a blast. Haven't done Pauls Dirty Enduro because I always end up with poison ivy when I race at Ganaraska.
Sure the 8 hour relay series is fun but it does get tiresome going around the same course over and over again and sometimes I find those courses way too tame.
What to do?

·
380 Posts
Everybody has to email Mike @ WOW and the crew up at Hardwood and show them that your intrested in the long races. The Pine River if you have done it is a fantastic race the 3 foot river crossing is a blast. I had no idea there was so much sweet trail in and around Hardwood Hills until the Raid 80.

I agree with the comment on the Epic 's I have done them solo for a few years now and I got pretty bored at the last one I did at Mansfield.

Did anyone do the Winter WOW this year ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 100km Paul's Dirty Enduro is fantastic, not only because there's a great 100km loop, but there's a 15km 30km and a 60km. All of which are single loops. Perfect mix of singletrack, doubletrack and cart tracks. It's about 75% single track. It's worth the chance of posion ivy. But be warned there's a big jump from the 60km to the 100km. The 60k is all done in the central forrest, which is non-moterized. But the extra 40k is done in the west on dirt bike trail, so it's steeper and with steps formed by roots and rocks. Still loads of fun trail but the 40km in the west is equal to the 60k in the central. The 100k is usually won in about 6 hours and the 60km is somewhere around 3 hours.
Last year only 10 people finished the 100km in under 8 hours. If you're looing for the toughest enduro's this is the one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enduro_Man said:
The 100km Paul's Dirty Enduro is fantastic....
I've done this event and you are right it is very fun. Plus the money raised goes to a good cause. You are right about the 40km loop...took me about 4 hours which was just a little less than it took for the 60km loop. Very demanding and frustrating that it is so slow. Very tempting to bail after that loop since you are passing right by your car. I think one year (a few years ago) the course logged over 10,000 feet of climbing...at least that's what the person who designed the course said. Very worthwhile event and really the only one of its kind in Ontario.

I think one of my projects this summer is to try and put a route together that works out to about 100 miles / 160 km integrating as much singletrack and dirt roads as possible. Perhaps starting in the Milton area, working up to Albion, then across to the rouge valley and into Durham Forest for the finale. Point to Point I know which means someone needs to be there for the pickup. Maybe a loop back to Milton if I can think of enough areas to incorporate singletrack. Anyone interested in helping?

Steve

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
A few summers ago, while looking for info on Paul's Dirty Enduro, I stumbled onto the web site of the organization that handled all of the communications for Paul's. There was a whole article on everything that they had had to do to overcome the logistical nightmare of just providing communications. If you are interested in organizing an enduro-style race along those lines it would make for some fascinating reading. Myself, I think Paul's 100k is one of the hardest things I've ever done. It's also one of the most satisfying races to complete and I will keep on doing it every year but I can't say I would be too interested in doing a whole series of races of that length. Anyway I 'm having too much fun with the 24hr races to think about doing a lot of long single loop races (must be something about getting dizzy that appeals to me ?) .
g-t-'s Hockley Hundred sounds like a lot of fun, but doesn't sound like the sort of thing that you'd want to get too big, numberwise anyway.
By the way Steve, I formally volunteer to pick you up in the the car over at Durham forest after you've finished your ride. Hope my driving doesn't scare ya.:) ( Ahhhh, maybe I could be talked into doing a ride like that someday.)
Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
413 Posts
Tried this last year

Quote"I think one of my projects this summer is to try and put a route together that works out to about 100 miles / 160 km integrating as much singletrack and dirt roads as possible. Perhaps starting in the Milton area, working up to Albion"

Not sure what the km's are but a good ride none the less...

Started at Forks of the Credit Provincial park hitting the single track, then got onto the rail trail to Belwood Lake then onto Elora (hitting the single track on the south side), from there a stopover in Guelph,
The next day starting from Cambridge, on the rail trail (with a few offshoot discoveries) through Paris, Brantford and ending in Hamilton

Its a great ride with very little traffic. The bigeest gap is between Elora and Cambridge, someone emailed me last year and said there was more trails that linked those two up, but have not looked into that since.

Along the route there are many sections of singletrack waiting to be explored. also Bruce County has some really nice epic rides using the snowmobile trails. You can ride from Owen Sound to Tobermory pretty much all off road.

As for your route, where would you start in Milton? Sounds intriguing. Let me know if I can help.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.