Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on line on Craigslist looking for bikes for the family and an ad came up for a HardRock Sport for $100.00.

The only thing wrong with this bike is it had a pinch flat. They guy hadn't ridden it in 4 years.

I bought it for the heavier built frame, or so I hope it is anyway. I've got a Trek 6500 that I'm going to take all the stuff off of and put it on this until I can afford to do more to it.

I'm guessing for a fatazz like me, wheels and a new front shock will be my best bet??

IMG_20140414_141534.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe not such a great deal.....?

I will be putting my XT derailleurs on the bike and clipless pedals.

Would I be able to run a 130-140 travel shock on this without too many issues?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
How heavy are you?

As for longer forks - it appears to be designed for 80mm so you'd not want to be putting 140mm forks on there. It would screw the geometry and put way too much force through the steerer tube into the rest of the frame. Well, for my thinking anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Says it's a medium. I am thinking at least 16-17. I am 5'10" but I've had a spinal fusion and have lost a lot of flexibility so it fits me very comfortably as opposed to my Trek

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5'10", 335. Big ol' fat fawk......

I plan to start a healthier eating plan Monday a.m. and am hoping to get this thing up and running so I can start getting some form of exercise soon. I've let myself go 100% and am feeling the effects of it now. I'm 42 but feel like I'm 90. I'm short of breath, always in pain, all of my joints hurt and, well, you get the picture.

Would a 120 work out or is anything more than 80 just a bad idea?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
I wouldn't frankenbike it if I were you. A decent 100mm fork should be fine for a guy with his spine fused that is looking to get some exercise on that bike.

Get an air fork if you're going to throw some money at it. Just about anything is going to be a huge improvement over the RST Gila (IIRC) that came on those bikes. A 100mm fork that actually uses it's travel will blow your mind. You can get a Rock Shox XC32 Solo Air for about $200 new that has cantilever mounts for the existing brakes. You might get something worthwhile used for around $150, but if you buy used, make sure the asteerer tube is long enough.

I know those wheels are 36 spoke and all, but the kid I knew that had that bike weighed all of 130 lbs and had a heck of a time with those wheels. This wheelset might be just the thing for you to get started on your journey to get healthier:

26" Sun Rhyno Lite 48 Spoke Wheelset w 8 9 10 SPD SEALED Cartridge Hubs Black | eBay

They're only for rim brakes, but with 48 spokes, they should be stable, and Rhyno-Lite rims are hella strong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Jeff, that's very helpful. I will start looking for the fork. I will call the guy on the wheels to see if he has anything like those that are disc brake comp. as that is one of the upgrades I want to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts