Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an aggressive XC rider in the market for a new fork. I'd like to keep the weight down, but I mainly want a quailty fork at a resonable price (less than $350). I was considering either the '04 Fox Vanilla R, or '05 Manitou Scareb Super. Any recommendations?

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
05 Fox Vanilla R 130

You can get one at Jenson for $409 with a free Chris King headset. You can then turn around and sell the headset on ebay for $120 if you don't want it, making about 60 bucks profit.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ratt said:
I am also looking for a new XC fork but at 4.4 lbs don't consider the Marathon as light. I am leaning towards the Rockshox Reba Race, at $313 its not a bad deal. Has Spv, 32mm stanchions, and is reasonably light.
Well he didn't ask for "light". He said he wanted to keep the weight down but he said his highest priorities were quality at a reasonable price. The Fox fork he mentioned is about 4.24 pounds so we're talking 0.16 pounds.

edit: Actually that weight I quoted for the Vanilla appears to be the RLC model. LINK. I can't find weight on the R atm.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Agree with the Marathon S. IT works well. It isn't heavy. It's easy to work on and adjust....and it has ETA which come in really handy occasionally.
Do you guys think I should get one of these or try stiffer springs for my RS. psylo...Thanks!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
blackagness said:
Do you guys think I should get one of these or try stiffer springs for my RS. psylo...Thanks!
How should we know? What issues do you have? I can guess bottoming out is an issue by your queston, but geeze, give us some help here.

How about posting...type of bike, your riding weight, the problems you're trying to solve, the type of ridng that you do, what's important to you in a fork.

I could call the Psychic Friends Network to find out, but I think they're out of business.....They didn't see it coming :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
dissonance said:
Well he didn't ask for "light". He said he wanted to keep the weight down but he said his highest priorities were quality at a reasonable price. The Fox fork he mentioned is about 4.24 pounds so we're talking 0.16 pounds.

edit: Actually that weight I quoted for the Vanilla appears to be the RLC model. LINK. I can't find weight on the R atm.
It looks like the '04 Marathon S and the '04 Vanilla are about the same weight. I've heard from a LBS mechanic that Fox forks are really well made, and high quality. And that deal from Price Point looks good so I'll probably go for that one. Supposedly the '05 model is around 4lbs. However, since I do want to be able to climb mt trails, the '05 Manitou Scareb Super is only 3.25 lbs, but I don't have any experience with that fork. I have an '03 Manitou Black Elite 80/100 now which I'm not too pleased with.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well you talk about climbing. Just know the Vanilla R doesn't have lockout. That might or might not matter to you. The Marathon has ETA. I don't really see how the weight is that big of difference between the 3. You could always just drop one pound from yourself :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea! :) I actually am not as concerned with weight as I am with build quality and durability on downhills. Unfortunately I cannot try out all these forks, so I wanted to hear from people's experience what they think. Basically I'm considering the '04 or '05 Vanilla R, '05 Scareb Super, or the '04 Marathon S/SL.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
How should we know? What issues do you have? I can guess bottoming out is an issue by your queston, but geeze, give us some help here.

How about posting...type of bike, your riding weight, the problems you're trying to solve, the type of ridng that you do, what's important to you in a fork.

I could call the Psychic Friends Network to find out, but I think they're out of business.....They didn't see it coming :rolleyes:
I have a titus moto-lite and to me the psylo just feels squishy. I wiegh about 185lb and the forks an "04. In relation to the (Psychic friends network) thing; good one by the way" I guess I was just hoping that one of these forks would just be hands down better or not. I know squishy is still kinda vague but I dont know. It just seems like the forks kinda drowning in its self sometimes. I guess all the talk on here about foxe Zoke and all these hot forks is geting to me. Sorry... As carefull as I try to be every time I try to post I catch s%^$ next time I'll get it strait anyway thanks for any info anyone could take there time to give..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Don't get the Skareb 100mm for if you are a aggro XC rider. Get the Minute 2 100mm model. It's alot burlier and weighs only a tad more at around 3.5 pounds. It has SPV and does not bob on climbs at all, so no lock out necessary.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
The Skareb is a noodle...

If your're into Manitou's (as I am) go with a Minute 1. You can hammer pretty well out of the saddle on one of those. You can climb just fine on a Vanilla, until you hop out of the saddle, then it puts you in your place.

The Vanilla is more rigid, they weigh pretty much the same, just one is a better pedaler in certain instances. Unless you're a racer, who REALLY NEEDS to be hammering out of the saddle?

In my opinion, the Fox is the more versatile of the two, and definately the better descender. Then it's a toss up between the Minute and the Marathon. I like ETA.

How about an 04 Firefly? 130mm, 32mm stanchions, SPV, only a half pound heavier, $379 at:

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=675

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Best of all worlds...

With the Firefly you get SPV, but also the change in spring rate and head angle when you drop it down into the short travel mode!

Lose 3 pounds of body weight and buy a smaller pack so you carry less crap that you really don't need on a ride to make up for the larger, better fork!!!! It's a QR too!

Man, if I could build another bike...!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a Vanilla, and now have a Zoke Marathon SL. I find hte Zoke just as plush, but rides higher in it's travel and seem to respond better to hits of all sizes-very plush and smooth. The Vanilla suffered from more brake dive at the same sag. Not a bad fork by any means, but I am happier on the Zoke (for now-I have a Marathon XC on the way). Plus, it is more tuneable, and same internals as the AM SL and Z1 SL. I don't consider the 30mm vs. 32mm stanctions to be an issue-they feel the same in flex to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.