Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my son's first 26 inch bike. we bought this 12 inch Jamis durango sport frame off of ebay for $10.50 . it was kind of beat up so we decided to remove the paint with some spray can paint stripper. then came the scotch bright finish. after that we put a few hours worth of polishing into it. here's the end result. i bought almost every thing off of ebay to keep the cost down. ive always wanted a pair of spinergy wheels. not the lightest wheelset, but the bling factor is high. enjoy. ps. i don't know who's more stoked, me or the boy!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very nice. It looks fast just sitting there. I've built my son a couple of bikes and I think I enjoy building them more than he likes riding them. There's something about saying, "ya I threw that together" when someone ask "were did you get that"

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sweeet looking bike! Do you have stardard 175mm cranks on it? How about a part list and some spec's?
I just got a GF Tyro 24" bike for my daughter, and it needs a crank arm/ front gear set.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
parts include the following. spinergy rev x rocks wheels, shimano deore cranks 170mm (same length that came on his previous 24inch novara tractor). deore cassette and chain, and shifters. xt front and rear deraileur. rock shock sid duel air fork. chris king headset( thanx mtbr member atvtyson!). bontreger race lite stem 60mm. easton ec90 flat bar. proshift v brakes and levers. and a no name seat post. basically i took a bunch of parts off my wifes now upgraded santacruz juliana, and bought the rest of the stuff off ebay or mtbr members. its not the lightest build but all in all we knocked off 5.5lbs from the weight of the novara tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rock on! That kid better be super stoked.

So what the was the price tag after all this effort?
I took my kid to REI this weekend and sat her down on a few size x-small bikes @ 30lbs and $350-420... ugh... but yours looks much cooler...

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Cut the cranks

One of the most important things you can do for their comfort and performance.

I've been cutting down cranks for my kids bikes. Even 170 is way too long for their legs if you were to do the math. I just guesstimate how long the crank should be and drill and tap some new holes. It's not hard. Use a set of your old beat up cranks. If you have a drill press and a few drills you can do it. Buy the park pedal taps.

I know that even the best store-bought kids bikes come with 170mm cranks....doesn't make it right.

Alternatively, google Dan's Comp BMX. They have some short cranks that will take 2 rings.

The 20" bike in the pic has 115mm cranks, the 24" has 135 mm cranks

For a MTB Dad, there is nothing like getting the kids out on the trails. They get better each and every ride!

Cheers! B

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
MDEnvEngr said:
One of the most important things you can do for their comfort and performance.

I've been cutting down cranks for my kids bikes. Even 170 is way too long for their legs if you were to do the math. I just guesstimate how long the crank should be and drill and tap some new holes. It's not hard. Use a set of your old beat up cranks. If you have a drill press and a few drills you can do it. Buy the park pedal taps.

I know that even the best store-bought kids bikes come with 170mm cranks....doesn't make it right.

Alternatively, google Dan's Comp BMX. They have some short cranks that will take 2 rings.

The 20" bike in the pic has 115mm cranks, the 24" has 135 mm cranks

For a MTB Dad, there is nothing like getting the kids out on the trails. They get better each and every ride!

Cheers! B
3 belltowns??

U live in ct?

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
ricot83 said:
3 belltowns??

U live in ct?
*sorry for the potential hijack*

Yup. In East Hampton...hence the Belltown moniker. I build frames as a hobby (that my wife would say is out of control). Belltown Bikes is a registered LLC and I carry insurance so I guess it leans towards actual business.

B

·
turtles make me hot
11,551 Posts
My son is almost six and rides a Gary Fisher Precaliber with 20" wheels. He "helps" me swap parts to make it lighter, so far... Handlebars, seatpost, headset, fork, XT brakes...
What kind of tires are on your middle son's bike in that pic by the van?

Anyway, my little guy is dyin' to build a 26" bike. I'm guessing around ten years old also, since he's tall. My plan is to use real good parts so when he graduates to a 29er, I just have to do rims, spokes and a frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts