Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Working on building up a Pug in the next few months.

I'm 6'2" and ride a Medium Karate Monkey, but with drop bars.

The '09 Pug comesin Grey which I like, but the new '10 color is a bit more appealing.

More importantly, there is a sale on the 20" '09 Pug, which would put $140 in my pocket for better componentry.

I'll probably go this route unless anyone can provide insight from experience why I might want to go with the 18" or 20", especially on the '10 version with the lowered top tube.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
Im 6'1 and ride mediums across the board. When I built up my pug, I also went with the '09 medium, but think there is still enough post in there that I could run a small. I prefer shorter top tubes than most.

·
bored ex-shop rat
375 Posts
I'am 1cm taller and I have a 20" pugs, It was the right choice for me 18" was to small and to
short Surly doesnt offer a 19" with the same TT lengh, a lower TT would be nice but it's OK..
I think it takes some time until the new frames arrived, maybe you can get a good deal, when I get
tired with the grey I take the bike apart and powdercoat the frame.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
I'm also 6'2" (looong legs, shortish torso, long arms) and went with the 2010 in 20". The geo on the 20" is pretty close to my 20" Kona Unit29. I'm told there are no '09's left at the Canadian dist., NRG.

At 6'2" I doubt the lower TT will make much difference. If the snow is soft enough to post-hole in when you step off the bike (a situation that could result in t'aint/TT contact), you're probably not going to be floating on it anyway. Plus $140 could easily buy you a new colour if you wanted. Might I suggest robin's egg blue?

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea!

CLONG said:
I'm also 6'2" (looong legs, shortish torso, long arms) and went with the 2010 in 20". The geo on the 20" is pretty close to my 20" Kona Unit29. I'm told there are no '09's left at the Canadian dist., NRG.

At 6'2" I doubt the lower TT will make much difference. If the snow is soft enough to post-hole in when you step off the bike (a situation that could result in t'aint/TT contact), you're probably not going to be floating on it anyway. Plus $140 could easily buy you a new colour if you wanted. Might I suggest robin's egg blue?
I hear you on the post hole/floating situation. Probably right that the 20 wouldn't compromise me at my height.

The robin's egg blue sounds dandy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts