Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm finding some conflicting info so I figured I'd post some specific model numbers which may be more helpful than the generic question in the heading.

I have 3 extra sets of SLX 665 10 speed 42/32/24 chainrings. one is lightly used the other 2 are new take offs. I have a touring bike with a DEORE M-590 9speed crank. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put these chainrings onto that crank? Just to throw another wrench into the works, I was running that touring bike with an 8 speed drivetrain because I did take it fully loaded from NYC to Missouri 2 years ago and wanted durability. I didn't have any shifting issues up front using the 8 speed chain on the 9speed rings.

·
The White Jeff W
5,678 Posts
I suppose it depends on the manufacturer but the granny ring on my SRAM X9 "10 speed" crank is identical to the granny ring on my Truvative Stylo "9 speed" crank. Even the serial number stamped into the ring is the same. I had a picture but must've deleted it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.