Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm finding some conflicting info so I figured I'd post some specific model numbers which may be more helpful than the generic question in the heading.

I have 3 extra sets of SLX 665 10 speed 42/32/24 chainrings. one is lightly used the other 2 are new take offs. I have a touring bike with a DEORE M-590 9speed crank. Is there any reason why I shouldn't put these chainrings onto that crank? Just to throw another wrench into the works, I was running that touring bike with an 8 speed drivetrain because I did take it fully loaded from NYC to Missouri 2 years ago and wanted durability. I didn't have any shifting issues up front using the 8 speed chain on the 9speed rings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ran 9sp chain and rear drivetrain for 1.5 years on 10sp designed chainrings. Had zero issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran 9sp chain and rear drivetrain for 1.5 years on 10sp designed chainrings. Had zero issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yes but the question is if a so called 9sp crank can mount 10spd rings without any spacing and shift issues

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
I suppose it depends on the manufacturer but the granny ring on my SRAM X9 "10 speed" crank is identical to the granny ring on my Truvative Stylo "9 speed" crank. Even the serial number stamped into the ring is the same. I had a picture but must've deleted it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure it will work fine, I just want to be sure because I'm putting these new rings on to sell the bike and want to be sure it works properly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
It will work. If you sit down with a bunch of rings and a caliper, you will find more variation between rings of the same speed than you will between 9 and 10.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts