Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '10 Rockhopper SL Expert was recently stolen and I'm looking to get a new bike and want to move into full suspension with a $1600 limit. Has anyone had any experience with either the Motobecane Fantom DS Pro or the Specialized FSR XC Pro? I've been reading around and people seem to be having problems with the Triad II on the FSR after a couple of years and its supposed to be a nuisance to replace. The two big differences I noticed between the bikes were the Juicy 7's and the XTR crank set on the Motobecane. Any recommendations for cheaper bike would also be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Motobecane Specs
Specialized Specs

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If you shop spec's there are few bikes that can compete with models from Bikes Direct. However, the suspension designs are worlds apart performance wise. The Motobecane uses a generic "Faux" Bar Link which is essentially a single pivot design. Depending on which chainring your in up front, the suspension may react differently. In addition, the suspension will lock out under braking. And BTW-The Motobecane comes with FSA cranks, not XTR! The Specialized on the other hand has a fully active true Four Bar Link suspension. This design using a Horst Link chainstay pivot means the suspension is not affected by drivetrain or braking input. It remains active.

So you will have to decide if you want an average riding full suspension with better parts or and excellent riding full suspension with good parts.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
If you shop spec's there are few bikes that can compete with models from Bikes Direct. However, the suspension designs are worlds apart performance wise. The Motobecane uses a generic "Faux" Bar Link which is essentially a single pivot design. Depending on which chainring your in up front, the suspension may react differently. In addition, the suspension will lock out under braking. And BTW-The Motobecane comes with FSA cranks, not XTR! The Specialized on the other hand has a fully active true Four Bar Link suspension. This design using a Horst Link chainstay pivot means the suspension is not affected by drivetrain or braking input. It remains active.

So you will have to decide if you want an average riding full suspension with better parts or and excellent riding full suspension with good parts.
Not only that but the shock rate on the DS Pro bike is CRAZY high. Look at how short the rear shock's stroke is.

There is nothing wrong with Single Pivot bikes. I have one and come from an FSR/Horst bike. I like my SP better. The problem with the BD bike is that it is a piss-poor SP design.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize the difference the linkage made in the full suspension. I appreciate the advice; I think I'm gonna get the Stumpy and hope the Triad shock lasts at least a few years.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
mnigro said:
Not only that but the shock rate on the DS Pro bike is CRAZY high. Look at how short the rear shock's stroke is.

There is nothing wrong with Single Pivot bikes. I have one and come from an FSR/Horst bike. I like my SP better. The problem with the BD bike is that it is a piss-poor SP design.
Oh I've owned FSR (once in 2001 and again now), DW-Link, another Multi-Link, and a couple of Faux Bar Link bikes (single pivots). And yes the SP's work fine most of the time but I can feel a distinct difference on the descents and that is where the FSR really shines.

Also, I agree there is no way you could ever get 5" out of a 1.5" stroke air shock, that DS is at max a 4" travel bike.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
beanxander said:
I didn't realize the difference the linkage made in the full suspension. I appreciate the advice; I think I'm gonna get the Stumpy and hope the Triad shock lasts at least a few years.
The Triad will last as long as any other Fox air shock, and can be rebuilt by Fox, Push, Risse, etc. The main downside is the proprietary sizes Specialized uses that limits your aftermarket options.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
mtb72, my comment was't necessarily directed at you. I was just adding a bit more flavor for the OP. And it is possible for that bike to get 5" of travel. the rockers are WAY long behind the seat post pivot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the bike shop earlier to ride the FSR XC and it was only in stock at a store an hour and half away so I ended up test riding the Camber Comp. I can get the camber for 1500 vs. 1600 for the FSR Xc. The FSR has a reba front shock, triad 2 rear and elixir 4 brakes vs a recon sl, ario rear, and tektro draco brakes. I'm kind of leaning towards the Camber now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.