Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
^^^ if you wanna call it that, go ahead. no one's not gonna not-tell you otherwise.
i just call it a flat bar w/ 10 deg. sweep ... in fact i have one(SS townie).. i also have a riser w/ hardly any sweep (on my AM) - it's got bar-ends too :eek:
 

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
MightySchmoePong said:
Best way to get the sweep I wanted and keep the bars at a good height on my 29er.
yep...it's all about gettin the right fit and, (someone call me out if i'm wrong) they are stronger because they have less bends and can be made lighter
On my SS, my stem/gooseneck (older rock hopper) is low as it goes and the 10 deg. sweep felt better than my other 2 deg. flat bar I could have put on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
That ritchey looks hideous! But, I do have a Syntace Duraflite 31.6 bar on my El Mar and really like it. It's 9* sweep with no rise. It just looks like a normal riser bar with no up bend. It's nice and wide too, 620mm I think. I've thought about trying it on my Yeti ASR, that I'm currently running a Titec Pluto carbon riser bar (1" rise, 9* sweep). But I think I'd have to flip my stem up to make up the height difference.
 

·
Bicyclist
Joined
·
180 Posts
FatTrackie said:
Bars like this one:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=135211

Other than your hands being at a different angle - why get one?

Thanks in advance
I think I see what you mean. The bar has a small rise, but then the degree brings it back down to where it started.
It guess that it's just for the degree. There must be a demand for it.

Edit = I had to look back at the picture after reading more replies to this thread. I had to look closer at the small picture and notice the front of the bars. Sweep.

All bicycles weigh 35 lbs. If you have a 34 lbs bike you need a 1 lbs lock. If you have a 20 lbs bike you need a 15 lbs lock :)
 

·
Former Bike Wrench
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
The reason the Ritchey bar looks the way it does is to allow for the same length stem as a normal flat bar. A bar with increased sweep requires a longer stem to keep your hands in the correct position. For instance, I have a 12 degree sweep Bontrager flat bar that requires a 110mm stem for me. It replaced a 5 degree sweep bar that I used a 90mm stem to keep my hands in the same relative position.

By "offsetting" the sweep of the bar, it is likely that you would not need to go to a longer stem.

And yes, increased sweep is more comfortable for many people...including me
 

·
~Disc~Golf~
Joined
·
16,496 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
The reason the Ritchey bar looks the way it does is to allow for the same length stem as a normal flat bar. A bar with increased sweep requires a longer stem to keep your hands in the correct position. For instance, I have a 12 degree sweep Bontrager flat bar that requires a 110mm stem for me. It replaced a 5 degree sweep bar that I used a 90mm stem to keep my hands in the same relative position.

By "offsetting" the sweep of the bar, it is likely that you would not need to go to a longer stem.

And yes, increased sweep is more comfortable for many people...including me
to muddle everything even further, the longer stem also slows steering..."oh bike fit's...who wont you confuse".:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
"A riser bar without rise?" Are you kidding me? It's a flat bar! The increased sweep should have nothing to do with fit. It helps to bring your elbows in, which is great for climbing and not-so-technical XC riding, but bad for DH, technical riding ,etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
splangy said:
"A riser bar without rise?" Are you kidding me? It's a flat bar! The increased sweep should have nothing to do with fit. It helps to bring your elbows in, which is great for climbing and not-so-technical XC riding, but bad for DH, technical riding ,etc...
Sweep is bad for technical riding? :confused: Weird that basically every all mountain/DH/Black Diamond bike in the world has bars with lots of sweep......

Also, it has a lot to do with fit.... as mentioned be others, the added sweep reduces your reach, which has to be taken into account when selecting the right length stem. Some people's shoulders and wrists do better with a bar that has more than the typical 5 or 3 degrees of sweep a flat bar usually has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
briscoelab said:
Sweep is bad for technical riding? :confused: Weird that basically every all mountain/DH/Black Diamond bike in the world has bars with lots of sweep......

Also, it has a lot to do with fit.... as mentioned be others, the added sweep reduces your reach, which has to be taken into account when selecting the right length stem. Some people's shoulders and wrists do better with a bar that has more than the typical 5 or 3 degrees of sweep a flat bar usually has.
I never said that "sweep" was bad for technical riding. 10 degrees of sweep on most narrow flat bars would bring your elbows further in compared to a 3 degree sweep bar, making the bike more dificult to handle in technical terrain. Although, you can get away with more sweep on a wider bar.

The added sweep obviously decreases reach but only a fool would buy a bar with increased sweep just to decrease reach. They make stems in many sizes for that purpose.

It seems like some people are confusing rise angle for sweep angle in this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
splangy said:
I never said that "sweep" was bad for technical riding. 10 degrees of sweep on most narrow flat bars would bring your elbows further in compared to a 3 degree sweep bar, making the bike more dificult to handle in technical terrain. Although, you can get away with more sweep on a wider bar.

The added sweep obviously decreases reach but only a fool would buy a bar with increased sweep just to decrease reach. They make stems in many sizes for that purpose.

It seems like some people are confusing rise angle for sweep angle in this thread.
Most flat bars with additional sweep are much wider than a typical flat bar.... just like riser bars. A flat bar with 10 degrees of sweep, that is say 620mm, will handle exactly the same in technical terrain as a riser with the same sweep and width. (obviously bar height would have to be matched if you want to get really exact)

I don't think anyone in this thread is confusing sweep with rise.
 

·
one chain, two sprockets
Joined
·
355 Posts
splangy said:
I never said that "sweep" was bad for technical riding.
No? Oh, I see, you said (read the underlined...):

Originally Posted by splangy
"A riser bar without rise?" Are you kidding me? It's a flat bar! The increased sweep should have nothing to do with fit. It helps to bring your elbows in, which is great for climbing and not-so-technical XC riding, but bad for DH, technical riding ,etc...

I think you're adding a little confusion...

Tom P.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top