Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a x-post from the "Vermont" forum. i've also posted this in MASS forum. Thanks!

Hello everyone!

This summer, we're taking a road trip on the East Coast to sample the best trails available. I don't have an exact plan but all i know is that we're hitting the road for 2 straight weeks in hopes of riding the best trails out there. I don't mind driving down to New Jersey but i want to be riding, not only driving! We'll be camping every night... but don't mind a Motel once in a while...

So i'm looking for trail info, places to hit... here's what i have so far:

- North Conway, NH :: I've been meaning to go there for 2 years... On the way back home, we'll check it out!
- NYC :: I have to check this "urban hot spot" as we're trying to get something done here too... And we'll most likely spend 2 days in NYC visiting since we haven't been in a couple of years
- Bear Brook
- Fort Rock
- FOMBA
- Lynn Wood
- Highland MTB park
- Mont Aggy, Maine
- Arcadia, RI
- Allamuchy and Ringwood, NJ
- Case Mountain, CT

What else?

So if you have websites with maps and info, it would be killer to be able to sample more info... places to visit... bike shops... This will be a good "training" if we ever make the move for the "IMBA Trail Care Crew"... only it will be 2 years and not 2 weeks on the road! lol! And one last thing, my girlfriend is a good rider but she won't like doing really technical trails every day... So open and flowy twisty singletrack is always the best option for her... but she's used to "earning" her turns.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Viet Nam

You should hit Viet Nam in Milford/Holliston Mass. Trade it for Lynn Woods if you have to.

Kingdom trails in VT- open and flowing twisty singletrack.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
You can find maps for some of what's on your list at Bikerag.com. Let me know when you're in the CT area, I'd be more than happy to show you Case or another CT ride. I'd say Bigelow would be a good stop as its just over the border from MA, but "open and flowy" are two words I wouldn't use when describing Bigelow.

John

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i'm familiar with everything available in Northern Vermont and some areas in NH, that's where i spend most of my weekends.

I'm looking for areas that are worth visiting and that would qualify as "great singletrack" or "must ride" in Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
From my perspective, in CT - must rides are Cockaponset, Middlesex, Case and Bigelow. Case is the only one I'd consider close to flowy, but not much in the way of singletrack.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Trip

The boys up in NC NEMBA have done some real nice work up there to the trail system lately. The Red Tail Trail and Stick & Stones where looking good last month. I think the NAN maybe dry right about now, When you get up there stop by the Red Jersey Bike shop and ask for Karl. He can direct you to where to go. Plus they have a couple of group rides out of his shop. Also try to contant Rob Adair NEMBA http://www.nemba.org/aboutnemba/WhiteMTNS.html
They also have couple of group rides per week.

As for other places in Rhode Island. I'm bais towards Arcadia because I live there. (there only a couple state camping spots in Aracdia but there is campground on the NW corner) There is also Big River which has become a pretty good trail system (no camping). Also, Burlingame, however, not the best riding but it has camping and is next to the beach.

I will also second Vietnam as a most stop.

Good Luck

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Get a guide for Nass

MMcG said:
Or Nassahegon State Forest out my way. Gobs of trails to ride in Nassahegan!
As someone who tried (and failed to some degree) to follow a GPS map to do a ride at Nass, I would say a guide is necessary. I think I proved, once again, that using a GPS map without a GPS device is probably more confusing than dead reckoning. There are a lot of dirt roads out there - hard to tell if you're supposed to be on a road or a nearby trail.

John

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MMcG said:
Grayville in CT over Case

Or Nassahegon State Forest out my way. Gobs of trails to ride in Nassahegan!
Hey there! I forgot to ask you... You must be familiar some areas over there... Long time since you came over on AllezY.net!

So in your opinion, must rides in the area?

Thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.