Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use a 44 tooth chainring.
There is more tension on the chain and more chainring teeth engaged with the chain and it won't fall off.
I just got done 1x9ing my Jamis Exile and it works perfectly WITHOUT any chain keeper oner thigamajig.

The gear inches with Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35s and an 11-34 cassette range from 37.5 to 116.
If I were using a 32 tooth chainring the gear inches would be 27.3 to 84.4.

The single speeders I ride with usually use a 32 chainring and a 22 cog which translates to 42.2 gear inches. Thus, at 37.5 gear inches, I am geared lower, and THEY climb EVERYTHING.

I know this won't work for everybody. I use the Exile as an "adventure bike". In other words, not strictly as a mountain bike. I have another 29er with a triple crank.
If you're using your 1x9 in the same manner as I do then this might be a good tip for you.
37.5 gear inches is more than plenty low enough to climb any road and 116 gear inches is as large as a road bike.

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
I was using a long cage XT derailleur with a N-Stop for a long while and was dropping my chain all the time. I was about to get a Rholoff chain thingy as a last ditch effort. I needed a new rear derailleur after an incident with a branch in Sedona, so I got a mid-cage SRAM x.9. The shorter cage, stronger feeling spring, and slightly shorter chain seem to have done the trick. I haven't dropped my chain since in stalling the new set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.