Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I run a Truvativ Noir 3.3. and remove the all the chain rings but the middle one. Obviously, I need to add a bash guard and chain guide to prevent chain jump. I'd be interested to see pictures of peoples setups. By the way, this will be run on a Niner RIP if that matters.

My reasoning is that if I don't like the 1 x 9 setup I can always but a front derailleur and reinstall the front sprockets.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
It should work

Or you could just lock out the front derailleur, so you can't shift it off the middle ring even if you tried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a sweet setup. Every chain guide I've seen is always too bulky and ugly. I want a nice looking bash guard too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
use a mrp 1x guide.. i just put one on my jet and it works perfect.. anything coming from the seatpost area is going to cause problems on the Rip due to the shock being right there... I will try to post some pics

·
Registered
320 Posts
Truvativ makes a 1.1 Sylo and a 1.1 Noir (carbon) that is a dedicated single speed crank. It comes with a non-descript bash guard AND the chain ring is thin enough for a 9 speed chain.

As for inner chain guide, the N-Stop is about as clean as you can get.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow, I can contribute, with pictures and everything. Weird.

Here's my 1x9 front set up. 34T BBG bash guard and a n-gear chain stop thing. And muck! Oh and a 32T surly single speed ring.

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
Bobbotron, what size spacers do you have between the bashguard and the chainring?

TIA,
V

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
vkalia said:
Bobbotron, what size spacers do you have between the bashguard and the chainring?

TIA,
V
Hey V. I don't have any. I've thought of putting a mm one in there, it rubs the tiniest bit in the lowest gear. Seems to work great though, so I don't think it will happen soon. :p

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
bobbotron said:
Hey V. I don't have any. I've thought of putting a mm one in there, it rubs the tiniest bit in the lowest gear. Seems to work great though, so I don't think it will happen soon. :p
Thanks! I'll give it a try without as well...

Cheers,
V

·
Registered
386 Posts
bobbotron said:
Wow, I can contribute, with pictures and everything. Weird.

Here's my 1x9 front set up. 34T BBG bash guard and a n-gear chain stop thing. And muck! Oh and a 32T surly single speed ring.
I have that exact set-up on my EMD except with a Blackspire 32t SS ring and it's flawless. I think at some point I'd like to try the Paul guide for a cleaner look but it's kinda pricey compared to the BBG guard + Ngear JS..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have started to consider going 1x9 on my new Niner Air 9, but still trying to figure out a few issues. By the time you add a bash guard & chain keeper, is there much weight savings vs. keeping the front der? I didn't really want to spend the xtra $ for a ss specific crank. Most trails that I ride are middle ring for me, but would it be beneficial to keep 3 rings for the other occasions? What (other than simplicity) are some benefits of 1x9? I'm sure that many of these issues are covered elsewhere in the forums. You can point me in that direction too.
Thanks!

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
FWIW, on my 1x9 with an n-gear and Spot bash guard, I had the chain to derail to the outside. The chain fit right in the gap between the ring and guard, so it didn't drop, but turning the cranks did nothing toward moving the chain. It doesn't look like there's a shim or spacer between the guard and crank arm - so maybe the guard's not fully compatible with a 9-speed chain.

Update - I found that my chain is 3 links (3 inches) too long using the Sheldon Brown method ... shortening it may well fix my derailing problem. I'd have tried it out by now, but I'm busy building an XC boat, what with all the rain we've had here in the past couple of days.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Same as a lot of others. I have the jump stop and a 34t bash guard covering a 32t ring. I am using the 3 ring SLX crankset with the small and large ring removed. No problems.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Turtle71 said:
I have started to consider going 1x9 on my new Niner Air 9, but still trying to figure out a few issues. By the time you add a bash guard & chain keeper, is there much weight savings vs. keeping the front der? I didn't really want to spend the xtra $ for a ss specific crank. Most trails that I ride are middle ring for me, but would it be beneficial to keep 3 rings for the other occasions? What (other than simplicity) are some benefits of 1x9? I'm sure that many of these issues are covered elsewhere in the forums. You can point me in that direction too.
Thanks!
For me, I am rather broke. Not having to buy extra chain rings, shifter, derailleur made going 1x9 (from single speed) a good choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts