Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may or may not be a good idea but I have a 2009 S Works Carbon Epic (26 inch) that I bought new. I still love the bike but I am tempted to redo the drive train with the SRAM 1 X 11 system. The people that I have talked to who use it really like it and it seems that it would update my bike by taking off a little weight and making it much simpler. I have considered just going to a 27.5 or a 29er but I am 5'8" tall and it seems that the 26" frame fits me really well. Also, the higher end bikes have gotten really pricey and this is still a great bike.

Has anyone done a retrofit like this? Are there any gotchas to consider? Where is the best place to buy the components? Does it even make sense?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well i do not know how the hub on the rear wheel of your bike is might need new wheel or so to get a compatible rear hub/freewheel for the cassette.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was in a pretty similar situation last year.

I have a 2010 Epic carbon expert and upgraded the drive train to XX1 last year. I did think about just buying a new bike as I also needed some new forks due to wear and tear and a crash damage, but in the end went for the upgrade.

My main reasoning was I loved my existing bike and didn't like the wheel sizes offered in the bikes I'd consider upgrading to. I'm 5'7" and also felt 26" wheels worked really well for me.

I'm really pleased I did the upgrade and didn't buy a new bike. I love it even more now. Baring any frame failure I'll be rocking the bike for another few years until hopefully they sell Epics will smaller wheels again.

Two gotchas are the bottom bracket and rear hub. I needed to get the GXP XX1 crank and „SRAM BB GXP press-in threaded cups (#00.6415.033.040) due to the OSBB. Jensonusa sells the required BB cups.

From the chart below it looks like the 2009 has the same OSBB as my carbon 2010 epic, so you'll be in the same situation as me.

http://service.specialized.com/coll...om-Bracket---Oversized-MTB-Bottom-Bracket.pdf

As I had already upgraded to Roval control SL wheels which have DTSwiss hubs they were compatible with the DT Swiss xd freehub body. I'm not sure what hubs your bike has, so you'd need to check if the xd body was available for them, or you'd need to upgrade your rear hub as well.

I loved my existing bike and with the new drive train I couldn't be happier. On the other hand I have mates shorter than me and love 29ers. Everyone is different.

Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is spooky. I have a 2010 Epic Expert Carbon and I've been sitting here at work all morning thinking about changing the drive train over to a 1x setup.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is spooky. I have a 2010 Epic Expert Carbon and I've been sitting here at work all morning thinking about changing the drive train over to a 1x setup.
Initially I switched it to 1x9 for $7.99. Some pics here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...ranks/show-pics-your-1x9-setup-158959-83.html

but I felt like it was missing a gear at both ends so upgraded to XX1.

Looking at the old pics it's funny how small the rear cassette looks now after getting use to the huge 42T cassette :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds a little more involved and expensive than I was hoping for. I was hoping it would be just a new chainring, a new rear derailleur with a SRAM shifter, and a new cassette. Do you need a new BB because you need to replace the crank arm? What was the final bill if you don't mind telling us?

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
It sounds a little more involved and expensive than I was hoping for. I was hoping it would be just a new chainring, a new rear derailleur with a SRAM shifter, and a new cassette. Do you need a new BB because you need to replace the crank arm? What was the final bill if you don't mind telling us?
You primary issue would be the rear wheel. XX1 requires a modified freewheel and only a few OEM's make them. So check what rear hub you have and go from there.

There is another option now available (or will be shortly), and that is Shimano. They have just announced a full 11-speed group, although the launch details were sketchy. Check with your LBS on that one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh sorry, I thought you were planning on getting a full XX1 drive train. If you have cranks that fit a narrow /wide chainring you can ignore what I wrote about BB and cranks. I bought it when it first came out so I don't think there were any third party narrow /wide chainrings available to fit my old Shimano cranks at that time.

What I paid 16 months ago is fairly irrelevant now as prices have come down since then and you have X01 available now which will save you a few $$$ as well for pretty much the same set up.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
This is an interesting one to convert.

2009 S-Works Epic Specs:

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/archive/2009/epic/s-worksepiccarbondisc#specs

The 2009 S-Works Epic came with an S-Works (rebadged Lightning) carbon chainset. There have been a few revisions of this particular chainset but I think you should be able to remove the triple spider and fit a dedicated narrow wide chainring, allowing you to keep using your current bottom bracket and carbon cranks. $78 USD from Wolftooth.

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/s-works-lightning-chainrings

The rear hub I'm not sure about. Newer Roval Control SL rear hubs (from 2011 onwards) use DT Swiss Star Ratchet internals, so you can easily switch the original freehub for a DT Swiss XD driver body that will accept the SRAM 11 speed cassette.

With a 2009 Roval Controle SL rear hub you might be out of luck. As the 2009 Roval Controle SL wheels are 24 spoke you can't just build the rim into a new hub. I think you'll probably need to budget for an entire new rear wheel.

Parts you'll need:

Wolftooth narrow wide ring for Specialized
New chain
XX1 cassette
XX1 shifter
XX1 rear derailleur
New rear wheel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I count 28 spokes. The wheel is a Roval Controle SL E5. Does that help with the new wheel issue?

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
I count 28 spokes. The wheel is a Roval Controle SL E5. Does that help with the new wheel issue?
Are these the wheels? You should have 24 spokes front and 28 rear. If so, it looks as though you have a DT FWH and you should be OK. It is easy to check, if you have DT your FWH should simply pull off once the wheel is out of the frame and you should be looking at 2 'cog-like' ratchets and a couple of spiral springs. If that makes you nervous, I suggest you take your wheels into your LBS and get them to confirm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it looks like it's all possible. Just a matter of whether I buy the parts and build it myself or use my LBS. I do have a Specialized dealer that I like and trust and they told me they could do it for $1200-1300. Thanks for all the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts