Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
You bet I am and I'm a huge proponent. I was 1x9 for years and got the 1x10 stuff as soon as it came out. I've found 1x10 actually shifts better than 1x9. Shimano did a better job working with the cassette ratios this time around.

It was difficult for a few months not having granny but now I can't even bare it. I actually removed my granny from my XC bike because it would freak me out whenever I dropped into it by accident.

I chose to go the Shimano route as I've blown up way too many SRAM derailleurs way too quickly. My stuff is all rock garden so the Shadow system keeps that knuckle from sticking out.

I live in NE with constant steep ups and downs. I've also been out west with their forever climbs and descents. 34F x 36R has worked for me. I started going 33x36 and moved up to 34 later on. I'd like to get strong enough to go 36 x 36 to have a higher gear going.

You'll need something to keep you chain on. I've been using the MRP G-2 thingee for a couple of years with solid results.

Surly makes excellent stainless steel singles speed chain rings in every size you can think of. I've been getting a lot longer life out of my drive train and I'm convinced that this chain ring is a big part of that.

If you are on the fence you can try riding for a couple of months w/o ever switching to granny. When it hurts push through it or walk. You'll be pleasantly surprised as it actually ends up making you a stronger rider.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm interesting in this as well, been thinking about going 1x10 on my Chili when it shows up.

Currently running 1x9 on my Evil hardtail and I like it, and I do think it makes me stronger as I can't sit and spin and take it easy.

What do the XT 10 speed cassettes weigh, anyone know? The nicer SRAM one is a fortune, just not an option for me. The XT is quite a bit cheaper I think, but not sure weight wise if it's comparable.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I'm about an inch from switching my Delirium from Hammerschnooot to 1x10. Here is what I will be using:

Race Face SIXc cranks, race face single 32t, mrp mini G2 SL, Shimano XT cassette, shifter, derailleur, chain.

I will probably lose 2 pounds making this switch.

About cassettes, competitive cyclist lists the following... the SRAM 1099(XX) weighs 186g actual and costs $328, the SRAM 1080 weighs 245g actual and costs $249, and the Shimano XT weighs 286g actual and costs $115. I think I would cry if/when I bent/broke a cog on a $300+ cassette, so I'll pay the 100g weight penalty.

I also vacillated between the SRAM and Shimano derailleurs since SRAM offers a short cage 10 speed and Shimano doesn't. But, I know how durable the shadow system is, currently owning a Saint shadow. I opted for the Shimano since the knuckle is metal instead of plastic and shadow keeps things tucked away nicely.

I also like how the downshift paddle on Shimano shifters can be actuated over the bar, or under.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ok, so I did some quick figuring, and here some food for thought for everyone.

Currently running 2x9 on my RFX: sram 990 11-34 cassette (305g), SLX front derailleur (163g), x9 front shifter (120g), Dura Ace chain (304g), and x9 rear derailleur (227g).

Let's say I went 1x10 with this combo: XT Cassette (286g), XTR chain (259g), and MRP Mini G SL chainguide (168g). The XT rear shifter and mid cage derailleur are a push weight wise with my X9 stuff.

This combo would save me roughly 189 grams, not counting the cable and housing, so roughly right under or at 1/2 a pound. Plus I'd have a cleaner set up on the bars.

Hmmmm....

EDIT: I forgot I'm also running a Blackspire Stinger chainguide currently as well (90g), so that would go as well. This would bring up the total weight savings to 289 grams.

I also did some price searching, and get get all the 10 speed stuff (Mini g, shifter, chain, derailleur, cassette, and rear derailleur) would run right at $381 or so, plus whatever shipping.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Typically when you switch from 2 front to 1 you save almost a full pound between the front der, shifter, cable, housing, granny ring, bolts, bashgaurd (if you go for a taco one), and roller guide. Plus it cleans up your handlebars which is important once you start adding height adjust seatposts.

I am currently doing 1x9 and waiting for my 1x10 stuff to arrive. I am doing it the pansy way though and have a 30t on the front and will be running a 11-36 rear. Here we have several thousand foot gains before the downs. Most trails have atleast a 30-60 min fire road that is steep and nasty. If i get strong enough down the line and i feel like im spinning out my 30t (haven't felt that yet on the trails around here) then i'll switch to a bigger one.

I personally went with sram but haven't tried it yet. They seem a little less finicky IMO.

So does anyone know the weight difference between the XT 10 speed cassette and the sram 1070. both in 11-36? the claimed weight on the sram is only 265 grams on BTI whereas the XT says its 350 grams

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Damn, I forgot about the Granny and bolts. Probably another 30g or so there.

I find varying weights on the XT 11-36 cassette as well. Some sites say 286, some say 335. Anyone actually weighted one?

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
rscecil007 said:
Damn, I forgot about the Granny and bolts. Probably another 30g or so there.

I find varying weights on the XT 11-36 cassette as well. Some sites say 286, some say 335. Anyone actually weighted one?
And you forgot the bashgaurd as well :thumbsup: Thats another 90+ grams

The weights im going off of for the XT cassette is from bti. It says the 11-32 is 285 and the 11-36 is 350 or so.

If the weights on BTI are correct then the Sram 1070 is cheaper and weighs 85 or so less grams then the XT. Would be great to know the actual weights....

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
climbingbubba said:
And you forgot the bashgaurd as well :thumbsup: Thats another 90+ grams

The weights im going off of for the XT cassette is from bti. It says the 11-32 is 285 and the 11-36 is 350 or so.

If the weights on BTI are correct then the Sram 1070 is cheaper and weighs 85 or so less grams then the XT. Would be great to know the actual weights....
Wow, I am really off and not with it today.

Pricepoint seems to have fairly accurate weights I think, as nearly every item I looked at this morning says "in house weight of... or on our scales average weight was..."

I'd tend to trust that over just a posted weight on some other site.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
loamranger said:
So you don't need special 10 speed crankset rings, is that right?

In that case I could fit some Renthal rings to my Saints?
To convert to 1x10, I think you just need cassette, der, chain, & shifter. I think you can keep same front ring. May be different if you are going more than one front ring like 2x10 setup...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Ok, so just bit the bullet and ordered everything. The simplicity and weight loss I just couldn't pass up. Here's what I ordered:

MRP Mini G2 SL chainguide
XT 11-36 Cassette
KMC 10 speed chain
X9 shifter
X9 short cage derailleur
Raceface Turbine 32t ring

Would have gone with the nicer cassette, but like Dusty said, hard to drop $200 or more for an XTR or nice Sram version. For $70 the XT one is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you go 1x10 and you dont already have a Derailleur just get a short cage.

Good call with the XT cassette, mine has been chugging along with Zero problems and when one does arise I will have no problems dropping 70 on a new one.

You will love the 1x10 setup once you get going and your used to it you will never look back. I honestly wish I had done it years ago now, it has made my legs stronger and I think its made my techy climbing line choices smarter.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
loamranger said:
rscecil007, sensible build, I may copy? What are the pros and cons between short and medium cage?
FYI, I ordered all that from ebikestop.com, they were the only ones i found that had the MRP mini G2 SL in stock, and the pricematch all the other stuff. The only thing they didn't was the XT cassette, but they knocked it down to $74.99. The KMC chain my buddy is ordering me 2 when he puts in an order from Ribble over in the UK in the next few days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Recently went from Hammerschmidt to:
SRAM x9 mid-cage, SRAM x9 trigger, XT 11-36, MRP mini-G2, 32-tooth e-13 race ring, and SRAM 1090 chain.

The switch dropped about 2 lbs from the the build and was worth every penny.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Chromagftw said:
CLAW does your Sov still see much action? :p
Not as much as the Knolly, but there are more than a few rides in the area for which the Delirium is a bit overkill...

I switched the hammerschmidt over to the Evil so now the bikes are actually pretty close with regard to weight (32lbs for the Sov vs. 34.5 for the Delirium). This probably won't help the number of days I spend on the Sov but it is pretty fun bike so it will still get some use.

We'll see how I feel about the Hammer on the Sov. Based on my experience so far with the 1x10 on the Knolly, I may eventually go that rout with the Evil too. However, at the moment that switch depends on being able to recoup some $ from the hammerschmidt and I dunno how that will shake out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.