Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some idea of how many folks will be coming this year. Could you please let me know if you are a "definite" or a "maybe" and if you're planning on dragging any friends along for the fun?

There may or may not be a small problem with accessing the campground, but it will either be a non-issue or only a small issue. I'm going out to talk with the contractors today as the Forest Service could provide no answers to me yesterday. An update on the road issue should be posted later today or tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your response and we'll see you soon!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I'll be there...

davis said:
Just trying to get some idea of how many folks will be coming this year. Could you please let me know if you are a "definite" or a "maybe" and if you're planning on dragging any friends along for the fun?

There may or may not be a small problem with accessing the campground, but it will either be a non-issue or only a small issue. I'm going out to talk with the contractors today as the Forest Service could provide no answers to me yesterday. An update on the road issue should be posted later today or tomorrow.

And I'm bring a fellow flying into Reagan with me. Just e-mailed me today saying he's getting ready to UPS his bike to me on Thursday. We plan to drive out on Thursday morning and leave Monday morning. can you give me directions to the grounds. lat./long.??? and address? Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I still plan to be there.

davis said:

It's just me...all alone...that means more beer for me!

I think I know where to go. If it's tricker then finding out where Tea Creek Camp Ground is and going there, then I'll be watching this thread for info.

Plan is to arrive Wednesday 5PM[ish]. Bike myself into a coma Thru.,Fri., Sat. and drive home on Sunday. I'm bringing firewood a buddy is making me take from his suburban home, from an old tree that came down last year.

Bb, [ kooooMa, kooooMa, kooooMa ]

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
I'll be there. Planning on arriving on Thursday evening and heading home sometime on Sunday.

Davis, don't forget to send me some directions.

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
Slatyfork

My God does a trip down Tea Creek Mountain sound great right now. I have so many memories of long loops out there, back when I had just started riding.

Too bad that it's too far to go.

hfly

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greg's not coming?

RicknALA said:
greg had to bail
I guess that means we won't be getting any of those "Slatyfork Shuffle 2004" decals, eh?

Oh well, his company will be missed much more than the decals. Give him my regards, and we'll see you next week. Looks like we should have enough folks for a pretty good party Wednesday night.

·
Not sure what to type?
566 Posts
Of course I'll be there...

Signs are coming along nicely. Should be able to print them tommorow and put them together over the weekend.
Any word on the paving?

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
I'm a Definite Maybe...

Just kidding. I'll be there. Hell, I'm thinking about leaving now. Can't wait. Sorry Greg isn't going to make it. Looking forward to seeing the rest of last year's crew that are coming. See you Wednesday. I just dropped you an email.

Here's a map for inquiring minds.

davis said:

Attachments

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
I'm a maybe as well. We need directions posted somehow! I went to the Tea creek website and now I'm trying to figure out if I should run down Route 81 or if I should take 68 thru maryland and down 219 through the heart of west virginia????

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
directions from 219S...

jm03 said:
I will be traveling 219 S, where do i go from the left hand turn that takes you to snowshoe or the skibarn on the corner? Thanks
If travelling south on #219, DO NOT make the left hand turn onto #66 which would take you towards Snowshoe. Continue south on #219 passing through Slatyfork and the "Slatyfork valley". The road after #66 is relatively flat for about 10 miles, then you'll start up Elk Mountain. At the crest of Elk Mountain, you'll make a right onto the Highland Scenic Highway (#150). There will be signs marking the Highway and there should be a Slatyfork Shuffle/MTBR sign there as well. Travel about 12 or 13 miles on #150, passing two overlooks to your left. After going downhill for about 4 miles, you'll cross the Williams River on a high concrete bridge. Immediately after the bridge, you'll turn left towards the Tea Creek Campground (again, there will be signs). After exiting #150, you'll come to a T intersection, where you'll turn left onto a newly paved road. Travel about a mile then turn right into Tea Creek Campground. See you soon.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
#219 vs. #81...

Capt_phun said:
I'm a maybe as well. We need directions posted somehow! I went to the Tea creek website and now I'm trying to figure out if I should run down Route 81 or if I should take 68 thru maryland and down 219 through the heart of west virginia????
If you take #68 through MD and travel south on #219, you want to get off of #219 at Thomas, WV. Instead of following #219 through Parsons to get to Elkins, you probably want to take #32 from Thomas and travel through Davis and Canaan Valley. At the intersection at Harman, turn RIGHT onto #55 and head into Elkins where you make a left and rejoin #219. Follow the #219 south directions posted above.

If you travel #81 south, exit at Staunton, VA and take #254 west. Turn south onto #42 at Buffalo Gap. At Goshen, VA, #42 is joined by #39. Continue travelling west on 39 through Millboro Springs, Warm Springs, and Mountain Grove before entering WV. Stay on #39 until travelling through Marlinton, WV. Cross the bridge over the Greenbrier River and turn right (north) on #219. Travel north about 7 or 8 miles until reaching the crest of Elk Mountain. Turn left onto the Highland Scenic Highway (#150), and follow the directions as posted above. Personally, I hate #81, its a deadly stretch of road. However, it probably would be a bit shorter (and easier driving) then taking 68/219. Hope to see you.

·
Professional Slacker
173 Posts
Correction....

davis said:
At the intersection at Harman, turn RIGHT onto #55 and head into Elkins where you make a left and rejoin #219. Follow the #219 south directions posted above.
You turn right onto rt. 33 in Harman, not rt. 55.... correct ? This is definitely the better way to go though, rather than following 219 all the way. Too many windy roads and coal trucks.

I aslo agree with Davis on the 68 vs. 81. 81 is usually full of flying truckers. 68 is not bad at all..and 219 is a beautiful drive.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that Harman intersection...

chili said:
You turn right onto rt. 33 in Harman, not rt. 55.... correct ? This is definitely the better way to go though, rather than following 219 all the way. Too many windy roads and coal trucks.
It's been a while since I've been up there, and everyone knows I don't pay attention to signs, but my atlas shows that #33 turns LEFT at that intersection and heads towards Seneca Rocks. #55 goes RIGHT and heads south towards Elkins. Regardless of what the route number is, you definitely want to turn right at the Harman intersection if you're coming that way. And chili, you won't believe the amount of late summer mushroom varieties popping up around here now.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slatyfork Shuffle weather forecast....

For around here, this is about as good as it gets. Looks fine to me.

Wednesday
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s...highs in the mid 60s across higher elevations. Light and variable winds...becoming west around 10 mph in the afternoon.
Detail
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.

Thursday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s.

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 50s.

Friday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s.

Friday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.

Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s.

Saturday Night
Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 60s.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 70s.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Well it looks like I have to retract my comment earlier about counting me in. I was hoping my back would be straightened out by now but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I had a crash about 10 days ago and then raced 2 days later. Ever since then I haven't even been able to get onto a bike. I hate to back out of the trip but being there and not being able to ride would really suck.

After seeing that weather report it only makes it harder to not go. THIS SUCKS!!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.