Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm purchasing a fork and can select a 1" threadless or a 1 1/8" threadless. Can either be used interchangibly? C'mon, it's a 1/8" but I can just see getting it in and not having the damn thing fit right. Help out (no crap please, I just ride the bike, I don't know too much about fixing them). k, thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You'll need to get the size that's right for your bike (and if it's an MTB made after 1995 then I'd bet it's 1 1/8").

1/8" - 3.2mm - is a huge amount when it comes to any sort of machine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I'm pretty sure it's a 1 1/8 (new bike). I'm trying to buy a rigid fork online and there seems to be a lot of measurements. "Corrected for 80 mm suspension"...ok, I don't know what that means. Any idea? My bike has a 100 mm suspension fork. How about stem length? It looks like most are 260 mm. The cheap one I wanted to buy had a 140 stem length. I guess you have to get that just right too. Any words of advice on getting this right? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"Corrected for 80mm suspension" means that the rigid forks are roughly the same length as a pair of suspension forks with 80mm of travel. So with that they'd be a bit shorter than the ones on your bike.

By stem length do you mean steerer tube length - the bit of tube between the fork crown (where it "forks out") and where the stem attaches?

What brand of bike is it that you have?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep, it would make it a bit snappier, but a bit less stable at speed. If you're converting this into a commuter bike or something that should be fine though.

To measure your steerer tube, the best way is to just take the forks off the bike and measure it directly. Failing that, measure from the bottom of the headtube (on the frame where the forks go in) up to the top of the stem, where it bolts on to the steerer tube.

The length of the steerer tube will be about 5mm less than this measurement, as there's a gap of about 5mm between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem to allow for adjustment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, if I order a fork with too long a steerer tube length, can I correct it by adding spacers? Or am I screwed? (this project is for losing weight for some smooth trail riding coming up).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Too long is good - you can always cut down the steerer tube if it's too long.
I know that sounds dodgy - but it's so manufacturers don't have to make 100 different sized forks to accommodate every frame make/size.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buddy, this has helped tremendously. Thanks for the answers. I know what I need to do now. I think my steerer tube length is 225-230 mm. So a little hack saw action on a 260 does the trick and/or maybe add a spacer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Spacers are good. You can always stick them above the stem if you don't want to raise the handlebars. (though they'll be about about an inch lower if you do go with a 80mm fork)

If you ever want to switch the fork over too a frame that has a longer head tube, you'll be glad you left the steerer long...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.