Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Quick Rack single. The one without the slotted hitch bar.
How secure are these with just the wobble ball and the lock covering that screw?
I've read complaints that 2'' super, the slots don't allow the use normal size pins.
Product Camera accessory Cameras & optics Rectangle Gas

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
Your picture is for the older Super/Heavy Duty.....

But yes, even the 2" variants need skinny locks, same as you see in your pic but longer to accommodate the hitch width itself.

For general around town and very light duty offroad use, the anti wobble ball works very well. Otherwise for very bouncy offroad, mine was loosening up every 5-10min.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your picture is for the older Super/Heavy Duty.....

But yes, even the 2" variants need skinny locks, same as you see in your pic but longer to accommodate the hitch width itself.

For general around town and very light duty offroad use, the anti wobble ball works very well. Otherwise for very bouncy offroad, mine was loosening up every 5-10min.
On 1Ups site it still shows that for the non-super/heavy duty. The one that has the AL hitch bar that can fit 1 1/4 or 2'' hitches. They removed it for the native 2'' hitch racks that now have the slot.

So the question is, how secure(as in the hitch getting stolen) are these without a pin?

Toy Aircraft Automotive exterior Line Lego

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
Even with lock nothing is theft proof. I personally use the hitch lock and a short 10mm hardened kryptonite chain or u bolt and registered for the theft insurance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Trek Fuel EX 5
115 Posts
Secure, in the end I think I'l order the slotted 2'' heavy duty and modify the slot to accept a normal size pin.
The narrow slot allows you to move the rack in and out. You might not need that ability. However, I do when it's on the back of my camper. Moving it out keeps the handlebar from punching through the camper wall when I hit a bump. Bikes shake alot on the back of a travel trailer.

·
Cycologist
16,865 Posts
As mentioned, anything can be stolen. As shown in your picture, the thief would need to break the lock off and then they would need the special allen wrench to loosen the ball. You could also add a chain through the rack and through the safety loops on your hitch.

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
^Breaking these locks is trivial with a pipe. The 1-up is aluminum for the most part, possibly the hitch is different, either way not hardened, it would be easy to open up the area to the lock.

There is nothing special about the allen wrench....security allen or not are easily purchased.

Security for the most part is a good feeling. Temporary at best.

I still recommend never leaving stuff out of your sight! Never broadcast what you own if possible when you are away.

Reactions: Dirtfiend

·
Freezer
666 Posts
Just FYI, even if the hitch insert piece is completely secure, four bolts attach the rest of the rack to the hitch insert horizontal bar. Take out those four bolts and you have 90% the rack. The primary funciton of the slot in the hitch insert is to provide a second method of keeping the rack attached to the hitch (ie, not falling off the car) if the wobble ball fails.

·
off to ride
255 Posts
I just got my 2 bike, heavy duty rack last week. Like others said - security wise, the slim lock that comes with is a deterrent that makes it a little harder to take off, as does the Allen key lock.

The thing I like about this rack, or at least what I have (not sure how what you are looking at works) but, I can take this off and fold it up and store in the back of the car if I need to. I was in downtown Phoenix last weekend, and didn’t necessarily want this showing in the parking garage, so folded it up and put in the hatch back. Took me less than a minute.

I like that in this rack compared to the other racks I looked at.

stability wise, I took this on my 450 mile one way trip, bike was great on it. Stable, didn’t bounce and seemed solid in the receiver. The bike was pretty good as well. I saw a little sway to it at times, but that was it. I used the same style bike locks as security to hold the wheels in. Knowing I would be stopping at gas stations, at least I had that on to keep it there. I also bought the cable lock because I don’t have anything else and liked having the 1 key for all four locks.

Hope that helps.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,815 Posts
That little lock won't stop anyone that wants to take it.

Get a 2ft length of 8k chain and padlock then loop it through the chain attachment points on the vehicle hitch and around the rack.

Luckily, most of my rack usage doesn't require high security. But, when traveling away from home, I do something similar with a cheezy cable lock. Thanks for the suggestion on the Abus chain, much more secure. FYI, that link happens to be out of stock, but Amazon has 2 foot covered 8ks Abus in stock. I suppose I should also use some reasonably secure padlock if I'm going to bother upgrading the cable/chain...

·
Registered
10,141 Posts
If you're going to buy a chain, get the Pewag chain with one of those locks that leave no part exposed to cut through. It is incredibly difficult to cut a Pewag chain with a bolt cutter. I need to find my Abus heavy-duty cable. If I can't, I'll get a Pewag chain and padlock. I never leave my bikes unattended but it is nice to be able to leave for 5 mins and not have it stolen off the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.