Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Autonomous
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m finally replacing the rear derailleur on my 2x10 Santa Cruz Solo.
The o.e. RD was Shimano SLX M675 SGS Shadow Plus long cage (the bike was originally 3x10).

I’d like to replace it with a Shimano XT M786 GS medium cage.
BUT, according to the specs, the XT medium cage has a total capacity of 35 teeth, and I’m at 36 teeth. Is this an issue or no?
I’ve heard the shorter cages have “crisper shifting” but I don’t have first-hand experience to confirm this.
Finally, I don’t make a habit of cross-chaining, but it happens :eekster:

My specifics:
Chainring: Wickwerks 33-22
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
Chain: KMC X10sl

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
Capacity is front and back rings combined.

I thought the medium cage could officially handle more than that, at any rate I've used a Shimano medium cage 10- speed derailleur with 22-36 chainrings and 11-32 rear cassette (35t ) and it worked perfectly, I'm sure one tooth more will be fine.

·
Autonomous
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capacity is front and back rings combined.

I thought the medium cage could officially handle more than that, at any rate I've used a Shimano medium cage 10- speed derailleur with 22-36 chainrings and 11-32 rear cassette (35t ) and it worked perfectly, I'm sure one tooth more will be fine.
Thanks…I was hoping someone would say that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ Agree. You have a 11 tooth difference on the rings and 25 on the cassette requiring a total tooth capacity of 36. You can very likely get away with a 35 RD if you get the chain length and B screw right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.