Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change out my front suspension but I'm having a problem finding a quality fork.
My biggest problem is the 1" steer tube.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Or know who is still making a 1" fork.
Most of my riding is XC.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
779 Posts
well, i know RST makes a brand new fork at 1". its a crap fork though. i would recomment that your just be patient and search e-bay until you find a marzocchi bomber or similar fork in 1". a lot of the forks can get expensive but i've noticed that if you buy find just a crown and steer tube that works in your application and you wait to find a 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" fork to put it on your will spend less money in the long run. also about a year ago i called Marzocchi and they still had old 1997(?) 1" Bam forks in stock but they did not advertise this. you might want to have you local bike shop give them a ring so see if they still have them. also ask if they have just the crown because you might be able to get a 1" threadless crown that has never been cut, then you will need to be patient on e-bay and wait for a good doner fork. -Sky

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
dag560 said:
Most of my riding is XC.
Check with Marzocchi to see if they still offer 1" forks. Their 80/85mm forks were available with 1" steerer by special order (no extra cost) from 2001 until at least last year. I don't currently see this listed on their web site (as it was in past years) so they may have stopped.

The Marzocchi coil forks can be reduced in travel if you are worried about the extra travel.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,924 Posts
heh, and just today I was pondering selling my Chris Chance painted Manitou 3 with the 1" steerer. ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
laffeaux said:
Check with Marzocchi to see if they still offer 1" forks. Their 80/85mm forks were available with 1" steerer by special order (no extra cost) from 2001 until at least last year. I don't currently see this listed on their web site (as it was in past years) so they may have stopped.

The Marzocchi coil forks can be reduced in travel if you are worried about the extra travel.
I think they added a $65 upcharge to get them in 1" now. There is a way to add the 1" steerer as an accesory when ordering the fork. It is somewhere on Marzocchi's site but it is sort of vague. I emailed but never got and answer. I was also enquiring whether they had backstock of any older models with the 1".

I tried Fox out of the blue. No dice. For high end stuff, its Marzocchi, Pace, and I think White Bros.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
jensonusa has the Marzocchi MX Comp with a 1” threadless steerer advertised for $209.00

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also Try

If you can get some old Z2 Bombers with the bolt in steerer, you can purchase a new 1in steerer for not much cash
If you are worried about too much travel you can overfill with oil a bit to lessen it

Also Pace will supply any of their forks with a 1in steerer, damn fine forks too, especially the carbon hollowform ones.
In fact the carbon rigids are also very nice and get rid of a fair bit of trail chatter

Cheers

·
Registered
129 Posts
In same quandry with 87 Fat Chance Wicked

dag560 said:
I'm looking to change out my front suspension but I'm having a problem finding a quality fork.
My biggest problem is the 1" steer tube.

Most of my riding is XC.

Cheers,
Dan
Have run Manitou SX (elastomer damping) since 96 and wanting to upgrade but have 1" steerer. Has anybody tried the 2004 Marz MX Comp with an older hardtail like this. I love the quick handling now. Original fork was 16 1/4" long, (from crown race) the Manitou is 17 1/4" unloaded. The MX comp is probably longer yet, but havent measured one yet. When folks talk about reducing travel, does this reduce the original length? What is a Marz "Bam" as referred to in another post? I ride at Hamilton Creek in Nashville; real rocky and technical:quick handling needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts