Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i need to replace the stem on my rei drt 1.1, i cracked it on a jump.
i'm looking for something on the cheaper side on amazon, but i can't find anything smaller than 28.6mm or 32mm.
thanks!

edit: the steerer tube diameter not bars!

·
Cycologist
10,143 Posts
I really doubt you have a 1" steer tube, it's 1-1/8". I think the mms you are quoting are the clamp for the bar, not the steer tube.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,389 Posts
If you've already broken an OEM stem on a jump, you need something BETTER quality than OEM.

Or you're going to break it again.

And yeah, that bike needs something for a 1 1/8" steerer.

https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike

Further, what sort of jump were you riding when you broke the stem? This bike isn't built for getting much air. It's just an entry level hardtail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you've already broken an OEM stem on a jump, you need something BETTER quality than OEM.

Or you're going to break it again.

And yeah, that bike needs something for a 1 1/8" steerer.

https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike

Further, what sort of jump were you riding when you broke the stem? This bike isn't built for getting much air. It's just an entry level hardtail.
it wasn't an OEM stem, it'd been a friends carbon stem that he gave me for my birthday, the way i cracked it is from doing a jump that was new, and the landing wasn't groomed, jumped, up,up up... then crack when i hit nose heavy on the ground, had suspension at max resistance so it didn't do much.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
1" steer tubes disappeared around the time suspension forks appeared. You need a stem for a tapered fork and a 31.8 handlebar. Super common.

Props for sending it on a beginner bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.