Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm cruising the mbaction.com site and i see the following Q/A. I think you'd be hard pressed to get to 24# from Giant/Trek/C-dale/etc. for this price for a FS. Or do you think MBAction is actually suggesting a, dare I say it, *hard tail*?

Q: I have a 4 year old Marin Bear County and like the frame but the factory components are very tired. I would like to re-build this as a fast x-country racer (sub-22lbs) but don't know where to start. Assuming a budget of about $1000 where should I start?
martin/mbaction.com - 4/24/2005 8:03:26 PM

A. RC: slide the seatpost out of the frame, then insert a new bike into it. Four years of riding takes its toll on every component of a bike--and your frame is average quality. Trek, Cannondale, Bianchi, Jamis and Giant, all offer excellent entry-level racers for about 1500 bucks. See if you can get $500 for that old beast. Tack on the $1000 you would have spent to upgrade it, and buy a new ride. Forget your 22-pound target weight. Your price will get you to 24 pounds--which is light enough to win races.

-capt pearl

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
not to pimp my thread

but 40 hits and no comments makes me think I've missed the mark. Maybe the bike in question is/was a HT and everybody else knew it but me. I'm assuming that the Big Boys can sell a "racing" HT for $1.5k thats ~24#. My thought in reading the MBAction reply was a light FS for semi-decent money.

My out-loud thought is, "can you do a racing FS, under 24#, for $1.5k"?

Feel free to pipe up.

gratzi,

-capt pearl

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Alright, I'll help you out.. IMO, you'd be hard pressed to get a sub 24lb fs for under $1500, and definately not on a complete bike purchase. Most xc fs frames are around 5 - 6lb and that hurts that target weight a lot. Just check light-bikes.com and see what kind of components you need to build a FS that light.

·
Lactic Acid is my friend.
365 Posts
At that price, it would have to be a hardtail. Agreeing with bmadau, you'll be spending more for a race-worthy FS bike. Closer to $2000 at least.

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my point exactly

split said:
At that price, it would have to be a hardtail. Agreeing with bmadau, you'll be spending more for a race-worthy FS bike. Closer to $2000 at least.
That was what ran thru my head as well.

So, the revised question is "who makes a race-worthy FS for $2k?".

NRS?
Fuel?
Dakar?

to be honest, the first thing that popped in my head was the Weyless SP Pro, Superlight clone. Good spec for, what, $1,700?

-capt p

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You know, thinking back, I've got more than that in my bike and I got a lot of real good deals on components. I'm trying to get my Blur to the 24# mark. I've got friends with lots of friends in the bike industry. For example, one guy is buddies with some higher ups in the FSA factory in taiwan, so on one of his trips to Taiwan, he came back bearing many carbon and Ti gifts. I've had to pay for less than half of the components on my bike, probaby more like 1/4 to 1/3 and I'm still got a good $1500 in it. And on the parts that I do buy, I get a wholesale 'cuz we've got a QBP account here at work. My blur frame was like a sea otter demo bike leftover so I got that at about 1/2 price too...and I've stil l got some ways to get before I'm down to 24# (a rideable 24#, not with silly components just to make the weight and then stick a pound back on it to be able to ride any of my trails).

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
capt pearl said:
My out-loud thought is, "can you do a racing FS, under 24#, for $1.5k"?

Feel free to pipe up.
No.

I've actually been shocked at the prices of new bikes this season. You can barely get an aluminum hardtail with LX components and a marginal shock for $1500.

I think the point of some of his comments is that you can race on a 24lb $1500 hardtail, and the reason for losing will not be the bike.

To get a real race hardtail you are looking at close to $3000. You can get a decent competive "expert" class type HT bike for $2000+.

To get a 24lb Full Suspension, look at close to $3000. I've got one that has pretty darned light stuff on it (without getting in the realm of TI Carbon stupid-light everything) that still is nosing up to the 25lb mark. When you are already starting out with at LEAST a 5lb frame (probalby more like 6) you are a long way to 24lbs already.

Sorry you felt ignored - I read your post earlier, and just didn't have anything to say :)

Thread-pimp

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
A few months back the bike shop weighed

forkboy said:
No.

I've actually been shocked at the prices of new bikes this season. You can barely get an aluminum hardtail with LX components and a marginal shock for $1500.

I think the point of some of his comments is that you can race on a 24lb $1500 hardtail, and the reason for losing will not be the bike.

To get a real race hardtail you are looking at close to $3000. You can get a decent competive "expert" class type HT bike for $2000+.

To get a 24lb Full Suspension, look at close to $3000. I've got one that has pretty darned light stuff on it (without getting in the realm of TI Carbon stupid-light everything) that still is nosing up to the 25lb mark. When you are already starting out with at LEAST a 5lb frame (probalby more like 6) you are a long way to 24lbs already.

Sorry you felt ignored - I read your post earlier, and just didn't have anything to say :)

Thread-pimp
a $4600.00 S-works Epic for us, with an 80mm Sid and V brakes, it still weighed a little over 25lbs (with crappy pedals).

·
Don't touch me!
854 Posts
Motobecanes seems to have pretty light rides for their asking price. Motobecane Fly 9357: sub 21# for $1105. $1595 for sub 20# hardtail. They have $1800 fs around 23#:

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been wondering about this

bmadau said:
You know, thinking back, I've got more than that in my bike and I got a lot of real good deals on components. I'm trying to get my Blur to the 24# mark....and I've stil l got some ways to get before I'm down to 24# (a rideable 24#, not with silly components just to make the weight and then stick a pound back on it to be able to ride any of my trails).
It looks like MBA was definitely talking hardtail. I don't think RC was really getting into a don't-blame-the-bike thing, just pointing out that it wouldn't be worth dumping good money onto old parts/frame.

I've seen Montobecane offered lite for cheap. I suppose a mid-level Giant XTC might make the cut. I'm not really up on other decent "entry-level" racers. But I gotta admit, it hurts to think that $1500 only buys you an "entry-level" bike (admittedly of a specilized niche).

As for an "affordable" 24# FS, fuggidaboudit, apparently.

bmadau, I'd love to build a 24# blur.

-capt p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.