Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently roll on an 11-year old Trek Fuel 80. It's heavy, makes lots of noise and is ready to be relegated to kid-hauling and/or bikepacking duty.

I have a roughly $1,500 budget with the following wants/needs:

- 29er
- Hardtail
- Light-ish and fast
- Indiana trails, lots of single-track, some rocks and roots but not too technical
- Possibility of beginner XC racing in the next few years
- Rider dimensions - 6'0, 175 lbs, 32" inseam (not handsome)
- Open to all brands
- Prefer new as not too many used bikes available locally

Please help me spend my money. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would scratch "light" of that list. As they say " light, cheap, strong, pick two". I think most of the major brands have pretty good HT 29ers in your price range. I'd just pick one based on the LBS you like best. If you would rather buy on line, Airborne looks good, or bikedirect.com has a fairly light weight Ti HT 29er. I paid $2800 my Salsa El Mariachi 2, it's not light, but is my favorite HT I've ever owned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would scratch "light" of that list. As they say " light, cheap, strong, pick two". I think most of the major brands have pretty good HT 29ers in your price range. I'd just pick one based on the LBS you like best. If you would rather buy on line, Airborne looks good, or bikedirect.com has a fairly light weight Ti HT 29er. I paid $2800 my Salsa El Mariachi 2, it's not light, but is my favorite HT I've ever owned.
So you only picked "strong" from the three options? Why is the Salsa your favorite HT?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I currently roll on an 11-year old Trek Fuel 80. It's heavy, makes lots of noise and is ready to be relegated to kid-hauling and/or bikepacking duty.

I have a roughly $1,500 budget with the following wants/needs:

- 29er
- Hardtail
- Light-ish and fast
- Indiana trails, lots of single-track, some rocks and roots but not too technical
- Possibility of beginner XC racing in the next few years
- Rider dimensions - 6'0, 175 lbs, 32" inseam (not handsome)
- Open to all brands
- Prefer new as not too many used bikes available locally

Please help me spend my money. Much appreciated.
Sound like you need a Trek Stache. Lowest priced model is right below your pricerange, with the money you save you can convert to tubeless. If my memory serves me right it is close to 29#.

Here is the link to the Trek site

Trek Bicycle

Here is the link to the thread dedicated to the Stache by happy customers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/lets-see-your-stache-official-thread-821795.html

Link to review MTBR team did

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
While you're in looking at the Stache look at the carbon Superfly 9.6 in a 19.5.
I'm 5'10.75"/32 inseam and take a 18.5. The compliance is new from the road bike group and the geo is faster than the 9.9 carbon from 13.
A sale fest is coming up in April.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sound like you need a Trek Stache. Lowest priced model is right below your pricerange, with the money you save you can convert to tubeless. If my memory serves me right it is close to 29#.

Here is the link to the Trek site

Trek Bicycle

Here is the link to the thread dedicated to the Stache by happy customers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/lets-see-your-stache-official-thread-821795.html

Link to review MTBR team did

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review
Thanks! 29# seems pretty heavy...but maybe I'm ignorant (probable).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While you're in looking at the Stache look at the carbon Superfly 9.6 in a 19.5.
I'm 5'10.75"/32 inseam and take a 18.5. The compliance is new from the road bike group and the geo is faster than the 9.9 carbon from 13.
It's above my price range at ~$2,500. What do you think sale pricing will be in April?

·
Registered
158 Posts
With his price range he won't quite be able to dip into carbon, even with the closeout. You can find last years entry carbon superfly for about $1750 but that's as low as it goes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you can buy one of bikesdirect bikes for this pirce and it will be a really good one. Also you can build your own sub 25lb 29er HT for this price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So you only picked "strong" from the three options? Why is the Salsa your favorite HT?
Eh, typo...I only paid $1800 for the salsa. It's hard to say what exactly makes it my favorite. I guess it's a combination of the ride of a steel frame combined with the geometry. I've XC raced it, ridden in N. Vancouver with it, and hauled my daugher back and forth to school in it. My 17" with Conti Trail King 2.2's, Stans ZTR Arch rims /w XT hubs, a Fox F-100 fork, X-7/X-9 drive train, SLX brakes, and SPD 540 pedals weighs 29.5 lbs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Crave Comp 29.

2x10 sram drivetrain
tapered headtube
reckon gold air sprung fork
shimano brakes
XC geometry.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get that for $1500 out the door.

If you're looking at trail bikes.

Kona Taro.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
+1 for the Superfly

A bit expensive though but it's definitely worth saving some $$$ more to get it. Consider it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Crave Comp 29.

2x10 sram drivetrain
tapered headtube
reckon gold air sprung fork
shimano brakes
XC geometry.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get that for $1500 out the door.

If you're looking at trail bikes.

Kona Taro.
Id go with the crave expert. 1650 at my lbs. it's worth the price increase.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Id go with the crave expert. 1650 at my lbs. it's worth the price increase.
+1 You should be able to get a 2013 for around $1,400 Cash out the door I did my 2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29 HT for $1,430 out the door.
The Expert is worth the extra money just to get the Reba Fork.
Good luck....

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
It's above my price range at ~$2,500. What do you think sale pricing will be in April?
You can save enough to make it well worth it. Start negotiating with the mtb manager with pricing authority only.
Miles better than the alternatives, especially anything aluminum. Sell blood, sperm or whatever else you can find.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought my 2013 Scott Scale 940 as a leftover for $1600. It retails for $2300! It's all XT and SLX components! I love it and would recommend it to anyone. I started with a Trek and didn't like it. The Scale is a lot lighter and rides a lot better than the Trek Mamba I had

1 - 20 of 41 Posts