Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out:

2008 models of the nomad have a 1.5 headtube.. but why???

- It's ugly..
- For all mountain/trailriding you don't need 1.5 if you ask me.
- I just don't get it...

·
Get Down Do you
536 Posts
Stronger with no appreciable weight penalty. I think more people than you might imagine are going huge with their nomads and it suits them. My only issue is I need to get a larger tube to seat the race on the new 1.5" lyrics that we got and I honestly think the look is growing on me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mmmh yeah the advantage of it that's clear to me... but it looks like they just swap the 1 1/8 for a 1.5 without re-design the frame to make it looks good.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
DaCruz said:
Help me out:

2008 models of the nomad have a 1.5 headtube.. but why???

- It's ugly..
- For all mountain/trailriding you don't need 1.5 if you ask me.
- I just don't get it...
You would be surprised how good it looks built up. I have a white one with the 1.5, my friend has a white with a 1 1/8", side by side mine looks better :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
inkpad said:
You would be surprised how good it looks built up. I have a white one with the 1.5, my friend has a white with a 1 1/8", side by side mine looks better :thumbsup:
show us a pix of your 1.5 please:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
1.5" tube can work out for some, especially if you need the extra cleareance for the right fork. and its not too big a deal to slap in a headset with a 1 1/8 headset spacer. Although I dont think Chris King makes a 1.5", and that makes me sad

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
xtremesportscar said:
1.5" tube can work out for some, especially if you need the extra cleareance for the right fork. and its not too big a deal to slap in a headset with a 1 1/8 headset spacer. Although I dont think Chris King makes a 1.5", and that makes me sad
Chris King are almost there........... I have had a good run thus far with my FSA 1.5 Head set though...

It is cool really, the RS Totem fork is lighter in the 1.5 fork than the 1 1/8... So can put a thinner tubing in the fork and get the same strength... Could all be marketing hype...

But I am hapy as a pig in shiat with a 1.5 fork and head set....

I agree too, there is some Nomads doing some bg stuff, after a week in Whistler, there were somoe Nomads set up real DH'ish...... And many V10-s too

from the CK website < One Point Five 1.5" NoThreadSets will be available in limited quantities sometime in 2007. We'll keep you posted.

http://www.chrisking.com/

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
LSDancer said:
Do know that motocross bikes have 1" headtube..!? :) // no comment.. and 1.5" looks ugly d:
Hmmm, this Honda CRF 250 headtube looks just a bit bigger then 1" ??

& as far as 1.5 being ugly, that's just your personal opinion, as I think it looks cool :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Exactly..personal taste. Pulled right beside a 1.5" and compared mine with a 1 1/8" and I like the look of mine better. It looked like the Nomad is growing a cancer.:eek:

·
Registered
510 Posts
For me Its all about having lowest stack as possible.Im on a 07 right now and selling it to get the new one.I personally find the front end quite tall when I run the fork at its highest setting and I end up reducing the travel to make the bike handle better

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
tuumbaq said:
For me Its all about having lowest stack as possible.Im on a 07 right now and selling it to get the new one.I personally find the front end quite tall when I run the fork at its highest setting and I end up reducing the travel to make the bike handle better
If you are running a single crown, you will most likely have to use the standard bottom like I have, then use a flush for the top. I was in a hurry & installed the lower flush cup only to find my fork would hit the down tube pretty bad when turned :eek:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
inkpad said:
At your old stomping grounds I ride with more Nomads than any other bike, just last weekend I saw the first 1.5 though. Way nicer looking then those scrawny little 1 1/8's. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1.5" on the way and I'm using the Syncros hesdset the Thomson stem and Lyric fork, but none of those came with a starnut or topcap?? I see some 1.5" starnuts online but no luck with a topcap?? anybody know where to get one??

thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
^!'ve come dovvvn from the Violet Skies to save the day. !'m about to reveal the tales of your life. ToO many secrets aRe locked inside your mind, but you're aLL equal in a life, equal in lavvv :) // !maginary Sight - Mastering Yoda

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
moto bikes use dual crown forks. remember pastrana (sp) with that SC bike he flared a few years back. the new thing specialized has with the 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8 top is sweet. i like a very much (borat)

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
bighitboy said:
the new thing specialized has with the 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8 top is sweet. i like a very much (borat)
It looks cool, and allows the use of internal bearings on the bottom to cut front end height, but precludes running 1.5 steerer forks. That's a bad tradeoff IMHO.

I've got a 1.5 headtube bike, and I like it because it lets me drop the front as much as possible with a zero stack HS. It's running a DC fork though so I've got no worries about shearing knobs off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts