Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new GT Sensor expert 9r (well, a 2013), in the hopes that I was getting a pretty up to date bike. it has a straight 1 1/8 fork stem.

My last bike was a 20 year old GT rebound with a 80mm 1" stem RS fork that was all worn out, and the inability to find a replacement fork with a 1" stem helped drive my decision to buy a new bike.

now I get to looking around, and all bikes seem to have the tapered or even 1.5" stem forks, and I am beginning to ask myself if I am behind the times again, and pretty soon there'll be no decent upgrade forks to be found that aren't tapered stem.

dangit! why do I keep doing this to myself? lol!

I bottom out the fork (120mm travel recon gold) on pretty much every ride, even though I have the air pressure set for 20 lbs over my actual weight. I'd been thinking of looking for a 140mm or 150mm, but all those have stems that wont fit in my frame.

: sigh :

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
It sounds like either your fork is defective or not setup correctly. How much sag are you running? How much compression? The Recon is a decent fork, I would get everything working correctly and dialed in before buying a new fork.

If you are hellbent and intent on a new fork, you can get a headset that will allow you to run a taper fork with your zero stack headset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If you are talking about steerer tubes instead of stems, then yes, the old standard 1-1/8th straight steerers are on their way out on everything new bike (with the exception of lower end bikes/frames).

·
Bipolar roller
1,353 Posts
Nothing's "dead". Well almost nothing, linkage forks are dead and so are URT's, unless your shopping at WallyWorld. You might not be able to find too many brand new bikes with the 1 1/8 steer set up, but that doesn't mean manufactures will stop making parts for them.

Just take a look at any bike part retailers web site and you will see that there are way more 26" wheel 1 1/8 steer forks options than any other size fork. A lot more. Reason: there are a [email protected] load more 26" 1 1/8 steer bikes being used today than any other size bike and this will not change for a very long time. Also, the majority of these bikes are not going to be just thrown away. They will be sold on CL or wherever and kept in service by replacing the worn parts. Maybe in 5 or 10 years you might start to see a change if riders feel they need to upgrade. I know I haven't felt the need... yet.

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
How much do you weigh? What pressure do you have it set at? And was this a used bike? Maybe the fork needs to be serviced.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx for the replies. yes, I suppose I mean "steerer tube," sorry.

I weigh 165lbs. I need to go check the air, but the bike shop supposedly set it up for 180 lbs.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
i just bought a new GT Sensor expert 9r (well, a 2013), in the hopes that I was getting a pretty up to date bike. it has a straight 1 1/8 fork stem.
The Sensor frame has a 44mm head tube (although GT still refer to 44mm as 1 1/8th Zero Stack for reasons known to themselves).

With a new headset (or even just a new lower cup) you can fit a tapered steerer fork no problem, should you desire to do so in the future. For a fork the same length it will raise your bike's head tube by about 2cm.

Re: Your fork bottoming out.

You have a Recon TK, so compression is fixed and the only way to stop it bottoming it just to put more air in until it stops. If it's holding air and the rebound adjuster is working the fork's probably fine, just add 10psi at a time until the bottoming stops.

If you want adjustable compression, fitting the motion control assembly from a Recon RL is possible for relatively cheap. If you must have a new fork, another 120mm travel fork with a better damper than the Turnkey will be better than a 140 or 150mm fork, which will make your bike turn like a lazy pig.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The Sensor frame has a 44mm head tube (although GT still refer to 44mm as 1 1/8th Zero Stack for reasons known to themselves).

With a new headset (or even just a new lower cup) you can fit a tapered steerer fork no problem, should you desire to do so in the future. For a fork the same length it will raise your bike's head tube by about 2cm.

If you must have a new fork, another 120mm travel fork with a better damper than the Turnkey will be better than a 140 or 150mm fork, which will make your bike turn like a lazy pig.
GT calls it 1-1/8" Zero Stack because that is what the frame was designed to use. To use a tapered steerer fork you would need a lower external headset cup, which may require the head tube to be reamed to fit, and alters the intended geometry (on its way to the lazy pig).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the good advice. I will put more air in and learn more about the RL motion control assembly.

I've decided to not add travel to this bike, and maybe just buy another bike with more travel for the times I want to ride places with significant drops.

For most trails around Houston it should be ok as is.

·
Registered
506 Posts
thx for the replies. yes, I suppose I mean "steerer tube," sorry.

I weigh 165lbs. I need to go check the air, but the bike shop supposedly set it up for 180 lbs.
I think I found your problem. Some forks leak a bit of air even when they're brand new. Over the course of a couple weeks or even days, the air spring could have leaked down to a pressure below what you need, so it bottoms out on you. My RS Sid is really bad about that, I end up needing to check it every ride.

·
rzip
80 Posts
Look on the fork manufacturers websites. They offer forks in either straight or tapered steerers. Or you can use a lower headset adapter. Real World Cycling has a lower headset "externaliser" offered which comes with two crown races, one for a straight steerer and one for tapered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts