Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets call CC and let them know there is a market for them. 828-684-3551

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-exclusive-1-18-angleset-campaign.html

LIFTED FROM THE DIRT SITE

DIRT EXCLUSIVE: 1 1/8” ANGLESET CAMPAIGN

February 18th, 2011 @ 11:58 AM | Author: billy

If you’ve got a bike with a standard 1 1/8” headtube and dream of being able to slacken it off then read on…

Angleset configuration confuses the bejusus out of me so here’s technical guru [email protected] with some exciting news, but we need your help…

Yeah like us you probably thought that it was impossible to slacken a 1 1/8” headtube, but we’ve just been on the phone to the head of R&D at Cane Creek and it turns out that it isn’t, one even exists! The bad news…they’ve currently got no plans to produce it.

Why? Cos they’re worried it looks a bit funny. Not much of a reason I reckon, especially cos the only reason why it looks a bit strange is because the cups need to be a bit larger than a standard headset in order to accommodate those fancy swivel bearings that make an Angleset happen.

Personally I think that’s a small price to pay for being able to ‘rescue’ an old frame (or even a new one for that matter) that’d be perfectly good if you could just slacken it off a bit, especially when you consider that many frames have such thick headtubes that you’d barely notice it anyway.

So, the question is do you agree with me, and would you love them to start making them? If so let us know in the comments below because I was told that if I could show that 100 people would want one then they’ll put them into production! Power to the people and all that.

Oh yeah, and if you’re wondering how they’ve managed to do such trickery in such a confined space then it turns out that it’s actually quite simple. Rather have the angle adjustment cup at just one end like the current ones this 1 1/8” version would have them both top and bottom.

Basically a bit at each end equates to the same as a lot at one end. Actually 1 degree to be precise, but we reckon that’s easily enough to transform many a bike.

Let the revolution begin…

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,350 Posts
WAHOO!!! I could see myself getting one.

But what I really want is an angleset for 1.5 head tube to 1.5 steerer. 64.5 degree HA with a totem would be fretty friggin sweet.

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
hafnz said:
Before the "want rant" beings...
Isn't there a simple physical constraint involved here?
Did you read the thread before posting?

daisycutter said:
Yeah like us you probably thought that it was impossible to slacken a 1 1/8” headtube, but we’ve just been on the phone to the head of R&D at Cane Creek and it turns out that it isn’t, one even exists! The bad news…they’ve currently got no plans to produce it.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
1.5 angleset

sambs827 said:
WAHOO!!! I could see myself getting one.

But what I really want is an angleset for 1.5 head tube to 1.5 steerer. 64.5 degree HA with a totem would be fretty friggin sweet.
Talked to Gary at Cane Creek, available in April

·
299 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
It would be nice to mess with the geometry on my older frames.

But the cons can't be justified on here without a picture or measurements.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
hafnz said:
I did ;)

Yet, I still feel that there's something missing, as I don't see a way you can angle a 1.1/8th steerer tube on a traditional 1.1/8th headtube (which are the majority).

I'm guessing there's a lot of wishful thinking and some misunderstanding on which 1.1/8th head tubes they work.

Taken from here:
http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Identification_and_SpecificationGuide.pdf
It is completely possible. Like the article said, they already have it, and if you go check out the turner forum, there's a guy who has already made one himself as well. Link here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=672117

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would definitely put one of these on my wife's Canfield One.

Hopefully the change in angle would allow the knobs to clear the downtube.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have been manufacturing something similar for a couple of months now, have a look at the following thread :
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=672117
I have described the process and product here:
http://www.ofanaim.net/has.html

I am an engineer, and in my free time, I am designing parts for
improving bicycle performance.

I was surprised to see how many people were interested in the product. Currently the product is not cheap as the demand is not high and this is a taylor made product.
However, if even half the people who showed interest would order one, that would change the picture completely!

If you would like any more information, please dont hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Regards
Saar

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Poking around their site, it seems that you place the order and let them know your preferred angle, up to whatever's listed as the maximum tolerance for your headset and head tube length. Pretty cool, if you asked me.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
juanbeegas said:
Poking around their site, it seems that you place the order and let them know your preferred angle, up to whatever's listed as the maximum tolerance for your headset and head tube length. Pretty cool, if you asked me.
45 a year for school and that is my level of reading comprehension hahahaha. sounds neat but i dont like the fact that you get locked into a designated amount of degrees.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The HAS comes as a complete headset with a crown race, berings, and all other parts.
Angles are per rider's request. Currently got 2 in stock for 145mm head tube (Giant Reign, 1.5 deg)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts