Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I'd rather be biking...
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09' Bomber 55R and have been noticing that I'm getting just over 90 mm of stroke no matter how hard I try to compress the fork wether riding or strickly attempting to compress the fork with slow 2 or 3 foot drops. I normally was running only like 7psi with spring assist. Tried messing around with 0psi in compression and it was easier to compress but bottomed out around 90mm again. Looked around the forum a bit and found some info/Threads on possibly too much oil in either leg and how it can change the characteristics of the fork. Primarilly the compression side. So stuck it on the stand and drained the oil. It was due for an oil change anyways. Had just over 115ml of fluid in the compression side and 10 or 15 ml in the rebound side. Cleaned everything and replaced with about 100/15ml for a starting point. Put it all back together and noticed same results, bottomed out around 90mm. I took the rebound cartridge out and noticed it was made by SR suntour....:confused: Well it was a lower end 160mm fork. But noticed the cartridge is positively charged. Anybody know if that is normal? Could only get about 90 mm of stroke outta of it too by hand. Couldn't get any further by compressing it by hand. Thinking something is wrong with the rebound cartridge. The rebound adjust itself is still working fine. I can slow and speed up rebound normally. Possibly a O ring failed and let the Nitrogen inside switch chambers or there is too much oil inside the cartridge and causing it to only compress halfway into the stroke before botteming out on the fluid. The cartridge is charged and sealed so no messing around with it. Anybody have this fork or had the same deal? Want some info before I take it down to LBS or call up marzocchi.

Attachments

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
shelbster15 said:
Could only get about 90 mm of stroke outta of it too by hand. Couldn't get any further by compressing it by hand.
A very good indication that your cartridge is bad. Time for an RC3 upgrade. Or heck, they may even tell you to hold out for a 2011 EVO cartridge if their making them. Ask.

You will need to call their tech department. The phone service is excellent.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
ALL marzocchi forks are made by Suntour.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
DeeEight said:
ALL marzocchi forks are made by Suntour.
Thats only half true. Their higher end cartridges are made in Italy and shipped to SR for assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts