1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I currently have the DHX 5 AIR rear shock on my Nomad (2011). size 8.5" x 2.5"
It's ok. ... I'd like to try a coil though. I'm 200lbs and ride AM / XC
I found a Van R coil for $150 (2009) I'd like to upgrade it w/ a Ti spring. Any suggestions?
Will I regret not having the adjustments of a DHX shock ?
Will a coil shock be "too plush" for long XC rides?

The Santa Cruz website says I'd need a spring rate of 400 / 450 .

thanks.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a DHX with a 550lb Ti spring and I love it. I've had a Nomad since 06 and changed the air shock out after about 6 months. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 215 loaded up. If I had to do it again, I might run a 500lb spring. 90% of my ridding is XC with the occasional trip out west. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigb73 said:
I have a DHX with a 550lb Ti spring and I love it. I've had a Nomad since 06 and changed the air shock out after about 6 months. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 215 loaded up. If I had to do it again, I might run a 500lb spring. 90% of my ridding is XC with the occasional trip out west. Hope this helps.
Sounds like I should err on the stiffer side w/ a 450lb spring.

So your Nomad is a '06? What brand of Ti spring do you have?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had a 06 Nomad and a 08 Nomad and both cracked in the main frame. My 2010 Nomad has had zero issues. I have a Renton Ti spring on my bike. I would like to try a softer spring but I don't want to spend the $$$. The Nomad is such a kick ass bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.