Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
I think that a lighter and stiffer wheelset will result in a nice jump performance wise. It will probably yield more performance than most other upgrades.

Stiffer and lighter cranks will help too.

In the "just nice" category, you could go with upgraded seatpost, stem and handlebars.

The brakes that are on the bike are not horrible, but I really think that something with actual modulation will really benefit the bike.

Honestly though, if you're anything like me, once you start upgrading it's hard to stop, heh.

You'll end up replacing nearly everything...

You can also check my blog and see what kind of upgrades I have done to my EX 8 and ones I will do soon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the most obvious one would be those Bonty tires. The nice thing about them is that they’re light. Theyr're around 590 grams each. Searching the web on their weight will often result in a figure of around 490, but those are the Team Issue Bontrager Jones XR tires. The ones one your bike are just under 600 grams each, which IMO is fairly light for a tubeless ready tire.

But, in case you haven’t already noticed, you take your personal safety into your own hands with those tires.

If you haven’t already upgraded the pedals, I would say that’s your first upgrade before you do anything besides upgrade the tires. The stock Shimano M505 are decent pedals, but are more than 500 grams / pair. Also, remember to loosen them up real good so you can slip your cleats out of them in a hurry.

A pair of M540’s or some Crank Bros. pedals would be an instant and noticeable improvement.

I liked the suggestions that dr13zhen had, but personally I don’t see finding better wheels than Bontrager Dusters without spending some real moolah. If you’re ready to spend that kind of cash, then by all means upgrade.

The Shimano Deore crankset isn’t exactly great, but it does have the hollowtech II bottom bracket unlike previous Deore crankets. So, they’re actually a better crankset than one would surmise at first glance.

All things considered, I’d say you have a great bike there. I say just wait until stuff bends or breaks before spending more money.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My first question would be: What kind of riding do you do?

You can turn your Ex 7 into a light racer, a long haul trail blazer or a beefy stunt bike.

What do you want?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Monkey on a rampage

I have asked my self this question a lot of times.

I have replaced the seat post and handle bars with bontrager X lite carbonfiber bits (they look nice) also the head set spacers are now carbon fiber (not painted plastic)

The next things I'll change are the Avid jucie 3's, for a over-kill set of HOPE tec 4M's then it'll stop! (now on order)

After that i might change the shocks or the wheel set?
Not to sure what shocks to go for (i will be doing xc) and could do with some help on what to go for!
and the wheel set: got to be the Bontrager Race XXX Lite Disc wheel system from the top fuel 9.9 (more carbon fiber) if you have that kind of money to play with!?!

I know a lot of people don't like the tyers but, I think there fine and will only change them when there f**ked

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.