Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on moving up to the Whistler area this summer and am starting the plans for a new bike to bring with me.
Im going to be building up one of the new '09 SX Trail frames and was wondering if the Totem would be acceptable choice for that bike. The frame has 170mm travel and that for has 180mm, would it perform right on that bike? Or should I be looking at a 160mm fork. In other words I guess is whats the fork that will be best with that frame.

Sorry if this is a no brainer but its been bugging me and I cant make up my mind.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Totem would work. Travis 180 would work. Better yet though, get a boxxer team and lower the travel to 180mm, then you'd have the perfect bike for ripping the gnar. That's kind of the killer combo for that bike... I don't know this for a fact or anything

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
I have to say i disagree, the SXtrail is a great all-rounder with a FR slant, if you double-crown it it'll lose alot of its all-rounder potential. I would never dream of putting a double-crown on my SS because it would then be seriously hindered when it comes to trail riding, and thats the beauty of bikes like the SXtrail and the SS (And many others) is that they can rip at DH, FR, AM, 4X, DJ and be fun (If not perfect) for most disciplines!

Adding a Boxxer would be a mistake (IMHO) the Totem is perfect, my SS has 160 and the Solo Air Totem on the front has 180mm, but the bike is brilliantly balanced, and great to ride. I've always preferred more tarvel at the front, the front end does a lot more work than the rear remember!!!

Get the Solo Air, it rips (So does the coil!!!!)

·
1,113 Posts
They make the totem in the e2 steerer for trek session 88 FR, but not sure if it i available aftermarket.

09 sxt headtube has a 1.5 bottom and 1 1/8 top.

So would have to a get a 1 1/8 fork and use headset reducer on bottom or find a e2 totem.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
I guess I'll be the only dissenter here. :)

The 09 SXT has a HA of 66* with a 160mm fork. One of the advantages of an SXT is it's low BB. Would you be willing to increase the BB for a some extra travel up front?

I guess I am in favor of a more balanced bike. I've tried the too big fork before. (I'm not saying the Totem will be too much - but it might be flirting with too much)

And I am a low BB junky.

P

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not the same bike but I had a Bottlerocket which was designed around a Fox 36. I put a fox 36 on it and it felt awesome. In a moment of stupidity and in anticipation of the 2008 DH season I put a 180mm Travis Triple on the front. It really screwed up the geo and the bike felt like crap even with the stanchions slid up in the crown to the maximum level.

IMO get the Totem Coil and lower it to 160mm.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
totem will be awesome on that - make sure u go for the coil though - I have an air but the coil is a lot more supple on the small stuff.

combatkimura - not sure you can lower the coil? only the air?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Karve said:
totem will be awesome on that - make sure u go for the coil though - I have an air but the coil is a lot more supple on the small stuff.

combatkimura - not sure you can lower the coil? only the air?
Yep, just move some spacers on the spring side and you're all set. I think you can go 180-170-160 on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.