Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been riding for years, have worked at shops and owned many bikes. I've seen Turner bikes around for years and know that the folks that ride em love em, but have never owned a Turner til now. DW has gotten rave reviews and that is what really led us to picking up Turner, but now that I see it in person I know that this is a great pairing. DT's quality and attention to detail and the DW Link design could make for a sweet marriage.

Out of the box all I can say is...I'm very impressed! The quality of the welds, the frame alignment, the finish quality, the grease ports - all good stuff. Just the beef of the stays and dropouts alone shows why folks have been raving about stiffness. Wanted to share some pics that show some different angles as the website doesn't do the frame justice. There is alot of detail work going on here. These frames are expensive - but this is one of the few frames where the attention to detail and build quality appear to justify the cost.

This is all based on appearances for now. Got it built up last night and riding today. Will post some more impressions when I've had a chance to spend some time on it.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wanted to follow up with a ride report. It's still early and I'm still fine tuning the ride, but I'm liking it. It's just flat out a fun bike to ride! Built it up with parts I already had - XT, crossmax, avid mechanicals (I know - but they work well for me and I love the simplicity), Reba, Specialized Resolution Frnt, Saquaro Rear. Need to check the weight, but I'm guessing around 28-29 #s.

For comparison - Was riding a HiFi 29er (broke) and most recently a FSR 29er with Brain, but have owned a ton of bikes over the years (just ask my wife!). Most of what I've ridden are XC oriented trail bikes.

It has taken me a few rides to get used to it - not used to a bike that is both plush and firm. In order to get a bike to pedal well most designs require the bike to be firm all the time. When I first set the bike up at around 30% sag I thought something was wrong - thought for sure it was too soft! Then I realized it's what a plush bike is supposed to feel like. It soaked up the rough stuff like a champ but stayed virtually bob free. It's really weird to be able to increase the sag and have it be super plush and still firm when you stand to pedal - even with propedal off. There's a wide range of adjustment based on sag - they aren't just making that up. You can stand and mash out of the saddle and the rear end stays firm, but is still active.

One thing that I haven't seen many folks comment on is how fast it coasts. Most of the local trails are rooty and the rear end soaks up roots and square edges well and does it without getting hung up and losing speed. This allows the bike to pick up speed quickly. I find myself carrying more speed into turns than I'm used to. I'm having to force myself to rethink some braking situations and I like that!

I'm running a 100mm Reba on mine right now (partly cause I already had the fork) and was afraid that it would be too quick, but I actually like the way it handles. Was planning to pick up a 120mm fork, but may just ride like this for a while. Since you sit in the rear travel a little more and can point at the rough stuff if you keep your weight back on the rear end it makes the Reba feel like it has more than 100mm of travel. Being able to sit and hammer through the rough is nice.

One issue I have is that the bike isn't quite as easy to bunny hop as I had hoped. No problems getting the front end up - can wheelie or manual pretty easily but still working on the setup so it could be that I can get the rear end set up so that it'll launch a little better after preloading. Need to find that fine line in the rebound where the rear suspension will extend quickly enough, but without bucking me off the saddle the rest of the time. This is a minor issue, though, and the bike jumps very well - very balanced.

With the adjustability of the rear end it looks like it'll be a really versatile bike. You could set it up with less sag and it's very fast or you can run less and ride more aggressive stuff. The rear end is rock solid and it has the ability to handle rougher terrain so I think I'm gonna be giving my current wheels a run for their money! It's the kind of ride that makes me want to take the rougher line!

I'll try to get some better pics.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
The new white Sultans look great. Your setup is nice and clean - hope to hear more from you as you dial it in - particularly with your past experience on other 29er duallies.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Those are the best pictures thus far of the new DW Sultan...And of course I LOVE the white..I just CAN NOT get over the ugly a$$ top tube on the Med.and the smalls..Also not at all impressed with the whole how to run the cable thing....Trust me I really like the bike and I'd love to have one I just don't see it anytime soon..So I'll just drool over your for the time being...BTW get a 120 on that puppie A.S.A.P....Congrats and enjoy...CF.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Beautiful frame. Which is why I have one just like it waiting to be built up. :D Got the wheels just waiting on the fork. I have a TNT Sultan now but was lucky enough to recieve a DW frame as a gift!

My TNT Sultan was built up for XC used but I decided to build this one up with more travel. You can't go wrong with these. Have fun!

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
forced retro? oh well, glad to see white bikes are back in fashion again as opposed to all those "modern" colors like red, black, blue, green, orange...;)

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Stellar bike. Finally a Turner I'm seriously interested in again (RIP '02 RFX).

There are white Minute TAs on sale right now for $268 (can be extended to 120). That would be pure heat.

·
Dawgwalker
209 Posts
08 and 09 Difference

I'm eager to try a FS 29er after riding Karate Monkey and Dean Colonel 29er. Still have both and currently pursuing an '08 Sultan.

Even with the 29ers I've tended to ride my '02 Switchblade or new Covert, both fs 26ers.

What are the differences between DW link and the '08 link. Will it show up only in side-to-side comparison or is it revolutionary?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Got to say those are the best "Show All" pics I've seen of the new Sultan's and the quality does look damn good - nice to see the evenly spaced pennies in the welds ;) but what else would you expect from a Turner - but, still not a huge fan of the increased slope on the TT or the huge bends in the TT on the SM and think M sizes.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Not on the mediums. It must just be a small. I did see one in glimmer grey btw. It looked almost bronze. Nice color.

·
This place needs an enema
17,431 Posts
Soupboy said:
There are white Minute TAs on sale right now for $268 (can be extended to 120). That would be pure heat.
AFAIK the 80 and 100 cannot be extended to 120. That's the straight poop from Manipoo tech support anyhoo. P'haps someone has found an easy way around?

Agreed that it's a sweet bike. 'Bout as good as it gets...

...for a Turner...

:D ;)

MC

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
jncarpenter said:
Yes, Medium Sultans will have a bent TT.
I guess I got a small by mistake then? I have one, no bent TT. I need to re-measure and make sure the sizing is right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.